Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recoil Control or NPA?

saibot

I'm having an interesting issue that I thought I'd ask the community for some input. I started shooting Open and have a STI, that I'm trying to get used to now that I'm not shooting a Glock, but in hindsight, this issue was relevant on the Glock, too, but the switch brought this to my attention. When I started shooting and defined my grip, I did it by drawing with my eyes shut, opened my eyes, then noting where the sights were. After a few adjustments I could draw and be perfectly aligned every time I came up on the target, and that is how I shot for years. My natural point of aim, NPA, defined how I held the pistol which had my right hand rolled around the grip, thumb moving way from the magazine release, which did necessitate the need for a extended mag release.

Switching to the STI, I did the same thing and again, needed an extended magazine release.

Now here's where it gets a little strange. I had a class with Keith Tyler and he had me adjust my grip back to the more traditional position with my thumb moved more toward the mag release, and I noticed that my recoil control was MUCH better, and I was seeing the dot lift like never before. My splits where much faster and the visual information was amazing. The trouble is that my NPA is way off. If I use that grip, I can't find the dot. And I have a very hard time consistently getting that grip which makes it even worse. I just stand around twisting the gun around trying to pick up the dot.

So, at this point, I'm at an impasse about what to do. Have a perfect NPA and give up the visual and recoil advantage? Or have a fast perfect index and just live with the lack of recoil control and less visibility (which is probably due to less recoil)?

Any thoughts?

I'd go for the recoil control, and practice to make picking up the dot a natural thing.

Doesn't seem like you'd need recoil control with an OPEN gun, but you do - makes

it faster to get off those shots.

You can learn how to find the dot, with practice, but it takes work.

PERFECT WIN/WIN - do both - control recoil and pick up the dot quickly. :cheers:

Thanks HPJ!

After about a billion draws and many a new blister over the last two days, I think I have a solution, at least a working one, that allows for both dot acquisition as well as good recoil management. It's hard to describe, but it has to do with getting my strong hand on the grip a certain way, and MORE importantly, getting my support hand on the gun a certain way. I draw high and sort of "chop" the trigger guard with my support hand to index it. Then as I push strait out, my support hand rolls into position while my eyes pick up the dot. If I am relaxed (mainly my strong hand) and do most of my squeezing with my support hand, the dot appears on the pinpoint my eyes are seeing. It also has the extra benefit of much better trigger control since my support hand is actually doing something and my strong hand is nice and relaxed.

I'll need to get more live fire to confirm that's the way I need it to work and then burn it in with lots of dryfire, but it looks to be the ticket.

Anyway, I hope this makes sense and helps anyone else wondering the same thing.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Pay attention to the alignment of the barrel with your strong arm with the different grips. See what you can do to change that alignment while maintaining the grip you want to use (ie, move the point where the first knuckle of your fingers wraps around the front strap).

By using the grip Keith suggested, it should put the barrel in line with your strong arm. Your arms obviously stem from the side of your body and make a triangle when your shooting with 2 hands. So having the barrel in line with your right arm would aim the gun to the left.

Try experimenting with where you hold the gun in front of you - see if you notice a difference between Weaver and Isosceles stances (I think traditional Weaver naturally puts your shoulders such that your head and arm are more inline with the target).