Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Factory front sight set screw will NOT come out, ideas?

EngineerEli

So this is not my first tanfo, but the set screw on my new stock II, is being really stubborn. I have a new dawson coming and I figures I would get the one one out ahead of time. At first try I rounded out the allen wrench. So I tried taking my heat gun to it. Heated till I saw stiff bubbling out of the dove tail and around the set screw. Then tried again after using a cut off wheel on the dremmel to freshen up the allen, and rounded it off again. I re heated, and tried applying clp oil hot and cold, still want go...

I'm inclined to just drill the suckered out, but before I do does anyone have any last ideas to try?

-Eli

This is going to sound stupid, but only bit of advice would be to try tightening it first and then back it out. Whenever I have rusted in bolts on a bike I would tighten it first and put as much force as I could on it and then they would generally break right loose. Also PB Blaster, but if you're using oil issue do the same trick. If all else fails drill it sorry

Thought about the pb blaster but I'm out at the moment. The thing though is its not rust, it's loctite. But now after all the heat I've put into it. Got it to smoke, there shouldn't be much left to the loctite. How long should it take to burn out, I had the heat gun on it on high for about 2 min. Could I have to go longer?

Hmm. One option is if you have a wood burner. Only heat the screw. Only the threads will heat up N melt the loctight. with heat guns everything can expand, holding the screw tighter. Put a fine tip in the hex hole and let it sit for 45 sec or till smoke pops up. Then try to turn clockwise just to apply medium pressure. Then back out.