Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pinning the Grip Safety

Flyin40

I pinned my first grip safety on my STI after adjusting my thumb to ride the safety. Once I changed my thumb placement I constantly was having trouble getting the safety to depress. Even after working on the grip if I don't hit it 100% perfect I have trouble.

I used the shock buff tech. but after some dry firing and messing with the gun I could start to feel the trigger was getting a "bump" towards the end of the stroke.

I modified the buff, making it alittle smaller to make sure there was no contact but still had the same thing happen. I might just drill, tap and pin to take care of it.

Whats the bump I feel??? I assume its the disconnector or spring coming in contact with the buff.

Flyin40

I THINK the new rule book says that "All safetys" on the gun have to be working as they were when then gun left the factory. So you might want to check on that before you pin the grip saftey. I have to figure out what I am going to do about the grip saftey on all of my guns if that is infact how the rule reads. Sorry for the semi thread drift.

John Amidon answered a question about this in his column in Front Sight this month. He said it is ok to pin the grip safety.

The bump you feel is probably the trigger bow coming in contact with the leg on the grip safety.

Thanks for the clarification. I will have to make sure I read that part of the latest Front Sight.

I quick explanation would be you put a small piece of cut shock buff between the mainspring housing and grip safety. When you push the main spring housing up the buff puts pressure on the grip safety and holds it in place already depressed.

Do a search to get a more detailed explanation.

Brazos,

The only time I felt this was when I put in the shock buff, I didn't like the idea of the trigger not feeling right so I took the buff back out and its gone. I no longer feel it. If I push the grip safety all the way in and pull the trigger I don't feel it now.

Flyin40

Brazos,

Well after some more messing around I think your right. Like I should of doubted you in the first place :unsure::unsure: If I push the safety in as far as it will go I feel the same thing as if I have the shock buff in. Should anything be done to get rid of that. Don't want to mess the trigger up. I was considering just buying another safety and wacking off the tab also.

Flyin40

I tried messing around and hitting the mag release with the right handed just to get an idea of what it takes. This is what I notice

For a righty, at least me with big hands I had to turn the gun and adjust the grip to get a good release. There was not alot of movement but compared to using your trigger finger thats was a huge amount.

For me as a lefty all I do is tilt the gun to the left enough to see the inside of the magwell. I maybe tilt it 2 inches and bring the mag to the gun. I didn't have to do any othe movement besides my trigger finger hitting the release.

I'm sure some righties don't have alot of movement to get a good release.

Flyin40

I was considering just buying another safety and wacking off the tab also.

That's the easy way of doing it. And it still has the appearence of working. :ph34r:

You only need to file the bottom of the tab so that the trigger bow clears it. Mine is still functional but it only needs to move a tiny bit before it disconnects.

I tried messing around and hitting the mag release with the right handed just to get an idea of what it takes.  This is what I notice

For a righty, at least me with big hands I had to turn the gun and adjust the grip to get a good release.  There was not alot of movement but compared to using your trigger finger thats was a huge amount.

For me as a lefty all I do is tilt the gun to the left enough to see the inside of the magwell.  I maybe tilt it 2 inches and bring the mag to the gun.  I didn't have to do any othe movement besides my trigger finger hitting the release. 

I'm sure some righties don't have alot of movement to get a good release. 

Flyin40

The geek has a theory that 1911s are really designed to be used best by lefties - kind of a cruel joke by JMB. Makes sense to me that you have to take your finger off the trigger to do something administrative with the gun. You don't wnat it there at this time anyway.

Also, ever notice that the old colts have the loading door on the right side of the gun? they are a lot eaiser to load when shooting left handed. Though I suspect this has more to do with riding a horse or something.

Gun Geek,

I think you're right about the horse thing. I remember reading that the reason the calvary gear was set up with the butt of the pistol facing forward was so you would draw the pistol with your left hand. At the time, the saber was still considered the primary weapon for men on horseback and the pistol was secondary (thus the weak-hand draw). In that case, having the loading gate on the right makes sense. :wacko:

Well after some more messing around I think your right. Like I should of doubted you in the first place  If I push the safety in as far as it will go I feel the same thing as if I have the shock buff in. Should anything be done to get rid of that. Don't want to mess the trigger up. I was considering just buying another safety and wacking off the tab also.

It should not be hitting if you depress the safety all the way. I figured it was hitting because of the way you had the shok buff in there. Mark the safety with marker and check it for contact to be sure. You can also grind the leg off as you suggested.