Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

new powder measure

Got my new Dillon 1050 setup. Is there a certain amount of powder I should run through it before I get started ?

I cycle my press 10 times or so every time I start a session. Then I run ten drops to weigh and check average. Then I just load ammo.

For an initial first time using the new powder measure. Is what I was getting at. If I should do something different than normal getting started checks.

In that case then no. Just load

I may be more anal than most about this but I like to use a prairie dog perfect powder baffle http://www.amazon.com/Prairie-Dog-6-101-Perfect-Powder/dp/B00HYYNWFA and a standard process.

When I pour a fresh batch of powder in I disconnect the failsafe Rod and throw about 40 charges into a tall pill bottle to settle the powder. I dump that and weigh a 20 throw charge. A typical load session is 1000 rounds and I will check another 20 throws at the end of my session.

Using ETR-7 powder and a 3.7 grain load it is not unusual for the 20 throw pre-weight and post weight to be +/- 0.25 grain of my target weight (20 x 3.7 = 74.0 grains). The perfect powder baffle Is consistent from a full hopper to an almost empty hopper. That's crazy consistent for pistol reloading.

Edited by Beastly

With a new measure you get some static holding on to the powder until you get a buildup of the graphite on the sides. My initial charges were always varying by .01 or .02gn. I started storing used dryer sheets in the measure and also originally wiped down the inside with the dryer sheets. i noticed that the powder didn't stick any more and that my charges became much more consistent. Even wiping down the little tin that I use on the scale really helped.