Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

No more love for Criterion?

olp73

For a long time there was many treads on this forum about Criterion AR-15 barrels and all I could think of was how to get my hands on one. I live in Norway and sadly my options are limited. But now there is hope. We finally got Brownells.no J

I know that Criterion used to be a part of Krieger and all that……and that this is not the case anymore. It also seem to me that Brownells is more or less the exclusive distributer of these barrels now days.

Are these barrels as good as they use to be or is Brownells marketing their own products under a trademark with a good reputation or something?

They are GREAT barrels still! The no love comes from the latest and greatest crowd who is fickle at best. I recently bought two of their barrels through Brownells and both will shoot a bit under 1 M.O.A. with good loads. Fulton Armory also is a distributer of their barrels.

See you at world Shotgun?

Thanks Kurt, always helpful.

You know. No one really shoots 3gun in Norway because of the gun laws, or IPSC shotgun for that matter. This is because of strict mag capacity rules when it comes to semi-auto shotguns. So, no shotgun WS for us. L

I have really high hopes for the criterion barrels. I am tired of round counting and monitoring heat. Then when you really starts to get familiar with your rifle, it is barrel change time again. I would really like a barrel that can tackle the abuse of this sport. I don’t really need a barrel that will shoot 0.5 moa or less, just some something that shoots good and stays that way for more than 5000 rounds.

Kurt, maybe I should have sent you a PM about this, but I think your answer is of public interest and maybe I should have used the search function too.

But, I shoot IPSC rifle and the stages is a little different than what I see in 3gun matches. The stages are in general more towards precision (less pistol-like). There is a lot of intermediate range stages, typically 70-175 meters and with use of paper targets. I have experienced 350 meters a couple of times, but not more than that. The targets are often spread out too, so you have to move a lot, which makes the points count even more. I feel that what often separates the men from the boys are those who are able to engage intermediate targets standing and offhand.

I am also a factor in this. I’m lightly built (76 kg -179 cm) and not the strongest offhand shooter in the county. Given this, my experience is that I often shot better with lighter rifles.

….witch chrome lined Criterion barrel would you recommend me? I was thinking the hybrid contour 16” mid gas, but I might be better off with something else?

I am well versed in IPSC rifle, having shot the Nordic rifle 3 times, and Euro Rifle Championships in your country, plus many matches else where. I like to use a longer barrel, but I believe you shoot open. the 16" hybrid is an excellent choice for your application and they also have a hybrid 18" both are light, chrome lined, and accurate.

FWIW, I'm planning to buy a Taran Tactical Innovations 16" upper in the near future, and he uses a Criterion barrel in his builds. Taran has assured me that it's a performer, and given the fact that it's the same upper he shoots himself, I'm sure it's awesome given his own track record with it.

Edited by jkrispies