Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone have any issues with the X5?

lrdchaos

I love it! I have an X5 L1 .40s&w I used when I shot Limited division. However, I eventually moved to an STI Edge because of mag capacity. I could get 20 +1 rounds in the STI, but could only get 17+1 in the X5 Mecgar mags with Roger Sherman extensions.

However, I still have never been able to shoot better groupings with any other gun vs the X5L1. That includes my Dawson tuned STI Edge, CZ Accu Shadow, Stock 2, Stock 3, and Wilson Combat Concept V. It's the tightest grouping gun I've ever owned.

If there was a way to fit 19 rounds in a 140mm mag I'd still be using it in Limited.

I should note I have the first generation X5 L1. Never had any issues with it shooting factory ammo or reloaded ammo longer ammo out to 1.18. I never tried anything longer than 1.18.

Edited by JGus

• 3 weeks later...

Irdchaos,

I've got the X-5 competition model in 9mm. I wanted a pistol chambered in 9mm for some accuracy games that are held at a couple of the clubs I frequent. The main issue I have with the pistol is with the extractor problems I've had since owning it. Initially, the pistol ran like a top. However, after about 5K through the pipe the extractor hook broke off of the extractor. I called sig and they sent me a new one that I installed. I was unaware that this part had been considered the Achilles heal of this particular model, but since it happened to me I started to become enlightened that many X-5's have suffered the same fate. Although, the new part they sent works it is not 100% reliable, like the original was until it crashed and burned. The other issue I have is that over the course of the last few years, I have noticed that instead of grouping nice tight consistent groups, the pistol will throw the first manually cycled round several inches low. However, the rest of the rounds in the mag will be grouped. Currently, the pistol is at Gray Guns for Bruce to do that magic that he does, and get it back to working like intended. Had I known about the extractor issue before I made the purchase, I may have went another route.

RH

I love it! I have an X5 L1 .40s&w I used when I shot Limited division. However, I eventually moved to an STI Edge because of mag capacity. I could get 20 +1 rounds in the STI, but could only get 17+1 in the X5 Mecgar mags with Roger Sherman extensions.

However, I still have never been able to shoot better groupings with any other gun vs the X5L1. That includes my Dawson tuned STI Edge, CZ Accu Shadow, Stock 2, Stock 3, and Wilson Combat Concept V. It's the tightest grouping gun I've ever owned.

If there was a way to fit 19 rounds in a 140mm mag I'd still be using it in Limited.

I should note I have the first generation X5 L1. Never had any issues with it shooting factory ammo or reloaded ammo longer ammo out to 1.18. I never tried anything longer than 1.18.

Whoops. I typed 1.18 oal in my post above. It should be 1.16 oal. I've never had issues with factory or reloaded ammo out to a max 1.16 oal in my X5 L1 .40.

• 2 weeks later...

Irdchaos,

I've got the X-5 competition model in 9mm. I wanted a pistol chambered in 9mm for some accuracy games that are held at a couple of the clubs I frequent. The main issue I have with the pistol is with the extractor problems I've had since owning it. Initially, the pistol ran like a top. However, after about 5K through the pipe the extractor hook broke off of the extractor. I called sig and they sent me a new one that I installed. I was unaware that this part had been considered the Achilles heal of this particular model, but since it happened to me I started to become enlightened that many X-5's have suffered the same fate. Although, the new part they sent works it is not 100% reliable, like the original was until it crashed and burned. The other issue I have is that over the course of the last few years, I have noticed that instead of grouping nice tight consistent groups, the pistol will throw the first manually cycled round several inches low. However, the rest of the rounds in the mag will be grouped. Currently, the pistol is at Gray Guns for Bruce to do that magic that he does, and get it back to working like intended. Had I known about the extractor issue before I made the purchase, I may have went another route.

RH

Try this.

http://grayguns.com/gunsmith-services/sig-sauer-pistols/sig-sauer-p-220-x-5-internal-extractor/