Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Okay guys, I need your expertise - I just can not figure this one out.

When I'm traveling, I can not send email! I receive it fine, in both Outlook and Outlook Express. This has happened three times now while using someone else's network.

Any ideas? It sends and receives fine from my home network!

My provider, Earthlink, blocks its mail servers from sending mail unless it comes from a computer that is logged into its network. Its a security thing. Makes it harder for someone to use their servers to send spam. There is a workaround; they have a server which allows "authorization" (which Outlook can do) but it requires extra steps and a different smtp server. Outlook handles it automatically (its one of the options we usually ignore but it is right there in the Outlook's email account setup), but you need to know the name of the ISP's server (smtpauth.earthlink.net in my case). Using that setup usually allows me to send when I am connected at a hotspot.

Then there are ISPs who block all outgoing mail except what is going out their own servers. Cox is an example; using wifi hooked to a Cox cable modem meant no mail could go out (since I am not a Cox subscriber). Incoming fine, just do not click the reply button. I had to use my ISP's webmail feature in that case.

Lee

What I noticed about my home and school networks is that neither allows me to send mail from the other account. Both go through a server that's formatted as mail.XXXXXX.xxx. However, both allow me to connect to an smtp server to send mail.

So, basically I have four email accounts: one provided by my home ISP, one by my school, one smtp that allows me to send mail through a mail program on any network that I've accessed thus far (one of the primary reasons I got it since I'll be graduating in June and won't have the school account anymore, so I want to receive stuff in the school account, but reply to emails through the smtp account), and one that I access through the Internet.

No advice, just info. ;)

My provider, Earthlink, blocks its mail servers from sending mail unless it comes from a computer that is logged into its network.

I am logged into the servers - all 4 of my mail accounts require authorization to send email. AND, it's four different ISP's. Very frustrating - I'm an advanced Outlook user and have tried every combination of settings!

When you say you have 4 different ISP's, you must be sending to at least 3 of them from off-network even when you're home...which would mean that those servers don't care if you're on network or not,or you are configured in a way to provide the credentials they are looking for.

What kinds of errors are you getting?

- Gabe

Gabe,

It's been over 2 weeks and I deleted them but if I'm remembering correctly, they are bounce messages stating that email could not be delivered because the recipient could not be found. Outlook and OE appear to be connecting to the server and sending.

If Outlook/OE aren't giving you an error right there when you're sending, then I can't see how there could be anything wrong with how you're communicating with the SMTP server. If you weren't logging in properly, or it was an auth or relay problem or something along those lines, the server would refuse to accept the mail and spit back some sort of error that Outlook would let you know about right there.

Now, relay problems often come back with an error about not liking the recipient's email address, even when that's not really the problem. But it should be an error right in the send/receive dialog box, not in an email you get later on.

You get all mail bounced back at you? No matter who it's addressed to? What happens if you address one to yourself?

When it happens again, paste the email here and maybe we can see what's up. Without the error messages, it's all a guessing game.

- Gabe

OK Kath, here’s the Skinny.

You need to use an authenticated SMTP server if you are not connected through the ISP whose mail server is the active one in your SMTP settings. If you have an EarthLink account, it is simple. Go into your account prefs in Outlook (I assume Outlook is your mail client) and enter smtpauth.earthlink.net as the outgoing mail server (SMPT server). Then click the option for “my server requires authentication”. In the window that opens, enter your EarthLink e-mail address as the user name and your EarthLink e-mail password as the password.

If your ISP is not EarthLink, you will have to contact their Tech Support to get the authenticated SMTP server settings for that ISP.

This should work on all ISP connections (DSL, Dialup, Cable) and most corporate LANs as long as they don’t block port 25 (SMTP sendmail port).

For WiFi services that block port 25 (most do nowadays to prevent floating spammers from using the server), you need to use a mail relay service.

The one I use is from www.dyndns.org and is called Mailhop Outbound. This allows you to send on a high numbered port (2525, or 10025) to their server, where it then gets relayed on port 25 for you. This service will work anywhere except on corporate LANs with hard firewalls that block the high numbered ports too.

They have two levels of Mailhop Outbound service available. For $14.95/year you get the ability to send up to 150 e-mails a day (each recipient is counted as one e-mail) and for $34.95/year you get up to 450 e-mails a day.

If you are a road warrior and don’t use webmail (AOL, Hotmail, Yahoo, etc...) this is the only way to send POP mail from anywhere, on any connection.

PM me if you need any more help.

--

Regards,

Looks like Geoff nailed the problem! I'm not a diehard road warrior, and all my ISP's have webmail available, so I think I'll skip paying for a service :)

I will contact charter about the authsmtp stuff, but since they don't offer any type of dialup, I'm guessing they don't have it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm now having problems with the mailhop service. Even the other higher ports that mailhop uses now suddenly seem to be blocked at places where mailhop used to work.

Anybody have a workaround? Instead of screwing up the internet for all the legitimate users, it would be nice if spammers would be sent to Singapore or China for re-education. Time to attack the problem at the source.

Are you set to overide 25 and use port 10025?

That port has worked 100% for me (and several of my clients) everywhere from T-Mobile in US airports and coffee shops to Eurospot Wifi in the UK, France, Italy and assorted Hotel WiFi in more places than you can shake a stick at.

Also, do you have the SSL option turned on in the SMTP advanced settings. Mailhop likes SSL on.

I have had zero problems in over a year of usage. I have a client who just returned from 3 months in Thailand and mailhop worked at every Wifi spot he came across, every time.

Eric, PM me with the details of your e-mail client and connection specifics and I will look into it.

Hmmmm!

Just another thought here, is your router/firewall/other blocking port 10025 also. I found this was so with Norton Personal firewall a bit ago on a machine when someone said they couldn't make mailhop work at all and I put in a service call to sort it out.

Just a thought.....

• 5 weeks later...

Okay guys - I'm all set up in the new place - DSL modem is working fine, the new fuse.net account is working fine, but the old charter.net account is NOT allowing me to send email and neither are my 1and1.com accounts. Something is set wrong somewher in WinXP... but I cain't find it :)

Help me please!

You ALWAYS have to use the outgoing SMTP server of the ISP you are connected to and that is a separate setting from the incoming servers, which will (almost) always work, no matter where you are.

Once again, outgoing mail is alwys sent through the mail server of the ISP you are actually connecting on UNLESS you use a relay service like I do, or you use an authenticated SMTP server.

Regards,

Edited by George

The chances of a cable company such as Charter.net allowing you to send email via their SMTP server from an IP address not on their net is pretty close to zero.

I noticed that "smtp.fuse.net" responds to a ping, so it exists. I suggest you change your email account to specify "smtp.fuse.net" as the SMTP server and see if that helps.

In general, DSL and cable SMTP servers let you send with whatever "from" address you wish, so you can still have the mail come from your charter email address.

While we're on the subject - "shootergrrl.com" is available, and you get get email forwarding from addresses int hat domain via godaddy.com very cheaply - so you may want to consider getting you own domain so your email address is decoupled from your ISP de jour.

Rob

Hmmm - the smtp.fuse.net worked :)

I hadn't done that yet because they screwed up my user name password and they're all out for the holiday until Tuesday. So I was just using the old email - oops!

Good job guys - I knew someone here would know it!