Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Maximum width magazine well

bret

What is the maximum with for a magazine well for IPSC?

I shoot an STI Edge .40 in USPSA, Limited Division.

Never shot IPSC before.

I have the stock STI one that Dawson Precision took off. I also have the Dawson Ice mag well but was told those are too big.

One of the guy's I Shot with today said people will be filing their guns on the sidewalk or concrete to get them to fit in the box.

What are the dimensions of the box?

Thanks,

Bret

There is no box for Limited, L10, Open or Revolver divisions.....

Have at it.....

When I tried to register for the IPSC match in September at Universal Shooting Academy, they did not have a limited division.

Have at it.....

He wants the dimensions for the IPSC box, he is already a Limited shooter from the sounds of it.

1. A handgun in its ready condition (See Section 8.1), but unloaded and with an empty magazine inserted or empty cylinder closed, must fit wholly within the confines of a box which has internal dimensions of 225mm x 150mm x 45mm (tolerance of +1 mm, -0 mm). Note that all magazines must comply.

Have at it.....

He wants the dimensions for the IPSC box, he is already a Limited shooter from the sounds of it.

• A handgun in its ready condition (See Section 8.1), but unloaded and with an empty magazine inserted or empty cylinder closed, must fit wholly within the confines of a box which has internal dimensions of 225mm x 150mm x 45mm (tolerance of +1 mm, -0 mm). Note that all magazines must comply.

That is correct, in USPSA I am a limited shooter, I want to be able to shoot the same gun if possible.

The outside of the mag well on it now is 45mm, so I am good there.

I will go to the cabinet shop Monday and make an IPSC box, thanks for the dimensions.

Be careful of making your box out of wood and using that as a guide before matches, you will find that most matches that use the box it will be either steel, aluminium or perspex as there will be no 'give' in the box when inserting the gun. Always make your box to the minimum spec as if it fit's in that it 'should ' fit in the match box. Remeber to run a straigh edge across the top of your box to make sure it doesn't miss out on the height as well ie: thumb rest.

As an IROA official I have run gun checks at our National and State matches and you would be surprised how many guy's front up and their gun's don't fit, the usual comment is but it fitted in my box or the clubs box, unfortunately that's not the one used at the match so tough tittie.

Edited by terrydoc

Terry,

I figured a box out of hardwood or even solid surface would be good enough to see how close I was, if I went under slightly on the dimensions and didn't force it unto the box, it should work.

I saw one box at a match, it had a hinged lid and appeared to be made of wood end had a magazine Guage with it.

I didn't pay much attention and it was at a USPSA match so it would be different anyway I assume.

If my gun doesn't fit in the box, do I go to open division?

It depends on when the gun is tested as if its done before the match it's basically a courtesy and you fix it. If during the match ie: chrono it's welcome to Open. We use the DAA aluminium box as our official box that has sliding lid on it.

Edited by terrydoc