Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why don't we do this for Steel Challenge like we do for USPSA?

Nimitz

I was just over on another subforum responding to someone's question about getting a slot to go to the Production Nationals when it hit me ......

Why don't we do this for the WSSC? I have yet to attend one because it's on the west coast but is it so easy to get in that there's no point to giving away slots?

people whine all the time that there is no point to becoming a sanctioned club since you don't get anything for it. Well, how hard could it be to establish an activity point system for sanctioned matches that mirrored how we do it for USPSA and hand out some slots to the WSSC? Seems like an easy no-brainer to help Steel Challenge?

Now I just need to figure out who at HQ to send this proposal to .... as well as our new Pres ... Mike Foley ... :)

Edited by Nimitz

I was just over on another subforum responding to someone's question about getting a slot to go to the Production Nationals when it hit me ......

WHY DON'T WE DO THIS FOR STEEL CHALLENGE SANCTIONED MATCHES?

people whine all the time that there is no point to becoming a sanctioned club since you don't get anything for it. Well, how hard could it be to establish an activity point system for sanctioned matches that mirrored how we do it for USPSA and hand out some slots to the WSSC? Seems like an easy no-brainer to help Steel Challenge?

Now I just need to figure out who at HQ to send this proposal to .... as well as our new Pres ... Mike Foley ... :)

Not sure it would work fror steel challenge. There is almost no limit of the amount of shooters that can compete, unlike "run and gun" events. But if you think it's a good idea....go for it :)

Don't waste the time and effort without current HQ staff. Wait until January. When you submit it submit to all 8 AD's at the same time as well as ED and new Pres (who's name rhymes with mine) :)

Draft your proposal and post it here and we'll review it. Speaking of proposals I submitted one for adding pistol caliber carbine division to steel challenge.

ok, just making things up as I go, and putting about 5 mins of thought into it, I've drafted a very rough idea of how this might work ...

I just need to figure out how to attach it to this post ...................................

WHY DON'T WE DO THIS FOR STEEL CHALLENGE SANCTIONED MATCHES?

Not sure it would work fror steel challenge. There is almost no limit of the amount of shooters that can compete, unlike "run and gun" events. But if you think it's a good idea....go for it :)

my proposal would have elements that would make it worth the while to do I think ....

it can't really be 'unlimited' for the number of shooters they allow for the match ...?

Edited by Nimitz

my proposal would have elements that would make it worth the while to do I think ....

it can't really be 'unlimited' for the number of shooters they allow for the match ...?

an Unlimited number of shooters is not realistic. 12 shooters per squad and 8 squads per day. thats about all you can push through in a day. You might be able to push up to 15 on a squad but that will start pissing off shooters. If you dropped to 8 or 10 shooters per squad you might be able to run two matches in a day but those would be long days

an Unlimited number of shooters is not realistic. 12 shooters per squad and 8 squads per day. thats about all you can push through in a day. You might be able to push up to 15 on a squad but that will start pissing off shooters. If you dropped to 8 or 10 shooters per squad you might be able to run two matches in a day but those would be long days

Not sure about that. The West Coast Championship had about 160 shooters in centerfire. I don't remember ever hearing entries were cut off because of too many shooters.

at the Tier II & Tier III matches I've attended you are correct. It was a max of 12 shooters/squad with a max of 8 squads since there are only 8 stages. That makes the limit 96 shooters/day. The practical limit is really 12/squad. Every match I've run the most efficient is 10/squad. 12 works but can be slow. Any more than that and things just bog down for whatever reason.

So the real limit is the number of days you want to hold the event. If you were willing to put on 5 days of shooting you could have 480 entries but that's a lot .... I have not seen more than a 3 day event which limits the field to 288 entries. Also, remember, many people shoot 2 different divisions & those competing for the Steel Master Title shoot 3. Therefore the number of actual competitors can be quite a bit less than 200 and still have almost 300 entries ...

Not a bad idea Zack. There are non-SC events that allow those but in most cases they bunch them together with .22 rifles and there is almost no way they can compete with .22 semi-auto rifles speed wise. I have asked Cole at Peacemaker to include PCC's in the mix for their Super Steel Match but its currently in discussion for next year.

Not a bad idea Zack. There are non-SC events that allow those but in most cases they bunch them together with .22 rifles and there is almost no way they can compete with .22 semi-auto rifles speed wise. I have asked Cole at Peacemaker to include PCC's in the mix for their Super Steel Match but its currently in discussion for next year.

I started a new thread for PCC so we don't hijack this one.

Why don't we do this for the WSSC? I have yet to attend one because it's on the west coast but is it so easy to get in that there's no point to giving away slots?

Slots are easy to get. Now if the handed out entries at 50% off, that might get some traction.

that's exactly what I'm working on .....

no one cares about free slots but getting discounted slots based on the activty points your club earns as a result of holding sanctioned matches should generate some interest. Also, awarding free entry to State Champions & if they institute Section & Area matches to those Champions as well would again generate value and interest ....

Also, if they start promoting the sport correctly the Nationals slots would be a lot more coveted then they are now because the match would fill up and not just anyone could get in. Because of the 8 stages of Steel Challenge, unless you're willing to makr very large squads, you are basically limited to 96 shooters/day and with many shooters shooting multiple guns to compete for the Steel Master title that doesn't leave a ton of individual slots unless you're willing to hold 5 days of consecutive shooting ....

Edited by Nimitz