Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

627 357mag or Super??

cliffwalsh

How about taking a .357, shorten the cylinder back for short colt only, and then turn the barrel back......

All the cylinders I've seen have a slight step at the front to help center the bullet before it hits the forcing cone, if you cut a 357 cylinder down then that step won't be there and I think it would lead to accuracy problems. One of the top shooters and I talked about this and the lack of that step at the front of the cylinders was his concern too. Revolver gunsmiths chime in here please.

Is going with long colt brass better than cutting down special brass?? I've never had to trim brass before. Is it very hard and or time consuming??

Unless you have a 5 gallon bucket of brass and a lot of time, I would just buy some starline.......I have a friend that did the trimming thing with a drill and jig he set up, but he is retired..... ;)

I dont have the time right now, so I would be calling the 800 number..... :D

Cliff,

If you have the right equipment ( electric case trimmer & deburring tool ) its not so bad. I cut my own and can do 200+ per hr of 38 spec. and 180 per hr of 45 acp. This might seem like alot of time to some, but i "enjoy" every second of it . Considered to be extreme-stress relief in my book. I practically live in my garage.

If you decide to try it, be sure to "size" your brass first even if there new.

Dan

Dan,

The area 6 is comming up fast. When are you flying in? I'll be going up Friday, expect to get in about 8 or 9pm.

What equipment do you use ( make and model)? I would have to start from scratch here. I never thought about trimming the 45's. Might be fun to play with.

Cliff

Cliff,

I use RCBS equpiment.

Cabelas has them. Look-it up under HUNTING, then RELOADING TOOLS & ACCES, then find the pictures of the POWER CASE TRIMMER, down a ways is the POWER STATION ( this tool deburs case mouth ) a must have tool. While your trimming ( hands-free ) you can deburr with the POWER STATION.

BTW, i get in thursday for AREA6. The wife is coming this time. She cant stand all the fun im having at the major matches with you guys so she will tag-a-long. Works for me.

Looks like we have our work cut-out for us (see squad 2 ) JM.

Dan

SIX SHOT - we had the same concerns in OZ when we bought the supers, $7 a clip coverts to bugger in AU$. :angry:

A friend organised to have some made locally out of spring steel and heat treated after cutting. Worked out about $7 AUD or roughly $5 US. I'm coming to IRC let me know if you want me to bring some over.

TMC - You can cut down the .357 cylinder without affecting the accuracy it has been done. The one we use the cut down .357 brass in groups like you wouldn't believe ... in a good way. B)

8shooter,

I won't be at IRC, but thanks anyway, the only ICORE match I've shot at was last year in Colorado, I plan on being there again in May, Bud Bond puts on a very fun match! Plus, I won a 625! I might try and talk my gunsmith son into making some moon clips for the Super. He will probably just give me the money and say, BUY SOME!

The bullet I use in my Super is the 120 gr. cast, thats designed for 9mm, its Lymans #356402, it has a real small flat point, actually truncated cone, it loads slick, and with the port installed & scoped it really shines. I mentioned before, I size them .358" in the 38 Super & the 38/357.

Dick A48544