Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.38 Super Barrel w/ comp

para man

I've seen 2 different.38 super listed..                              

One with a 1/16 twist and one with a 1/32 twist....

Is there a difference ??    If so what ?

Is one better than the other ??     if so why ??

Which one do I need ???

1/32 was originally made to shoot 115 gr. bullets . I don't know if it was successful , but if it is any indication, sheumman is now doing 1/20 or 24. I have used 1/16 for a while with great results

James Ong

The idea of the 1/32 twist rifling was that it imparts less rotational torque to the shooter and is easier to control. Given that Schumann is the only manufacturer to produce a 1/32 barrel for Super and everybody else is successfully shooting 1/16 barrels, it's apparent it's a non-issue.

Rumour surrounding the 1/32 barrels was that John Pride gave one a try. I don't know if he is still using it. But Doug K would most likely have a fair idea. The slower the twist the shorter the bullet, in theory this will make the bullet lighter, = less recoil. Unless you shoot DU.

The main advantages with a slow twist barrel is that it imparts less torque on the barrel, therefore the pistol, when fired. Any load would have a minutely smaller charge for any given velocity, and I suspect that if you went to a faster burning powder the charge could be reduced even further to help keep recoil down. Less wear and tear on a barrel as less energy would be lost to spinning the projectile. More energy put into making it go forward therefore faster.

Benchrest shooters take this to the extreeme. They use the slowest possible twist to enable them to keep the projectile pointy end forward.

Everybody who counts seems to stick with the simplest solution. Go with 16 to 20 twist