Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Foward Assist rotating problem

HarryO45

I have built my third AR and I have a unique problem (unique for me anyway).

I have a Aero Upper and I have installed two different Foward Assists. They both rotate. This means that the actuating arm of the Foward Assist is not pushing against the Bolt Carrier Serrations when it is rotated in some positions.

I am hoping that someone will understand what I am trying to communicate, and can tell me a solution. Hopefully one that does not require replacing the Entire Upper Receiver.

Thanks in advance

Is it installed correctly as it should not be rotating if it is. That said, I dump the forward assist and use a EGW plug or just a non frorward assist upper for mine. No real need for it in this game. If the round dosent chamber im not pounding it in with the forward assist. I rack it and go

Is it installed correctly as it should not be rotating if it is. That said, I dump the forward assist and use a EGW plug or just a non frorward assist upper for mine. No real need for it in this game. If the round dosent chamber im not pounding it in with the forward assist. I rack it and go

+1!

Dump the forward assist.

Ditto, I shave the weight and build on a slick-side receiver whenever possible. The way we use these guns pretty much anything that causes the bolt not to close is not something you want to cram into the chamber. Just saw a youtube vid where a guy had a squib. Didn't realize it, racked the bolt, click. Again, click. Again, then forward-assisted the next round, forcing the bullet in the throat far enough into the bore for the bolt to close, and promptly blew his rifle up.

But, in answer to your actual mechanical issue, there is a flat on the side of the forward assist body that lays against the roll pin, keeping it from rotating. If it was properly installed with the correct size roll pin but rotates anyway, the roll pin hole is too far away from the forward assist bore to do its job. If so, that is a manufacturing defect and AP should replace the upper. A qualified Gunsmith could tell you for sure with about 2 minutes' work.

But, in answer to your actual mechanical issue, there is a flat on the side of the forward assist body that lays against the roll pin, keeping it from rotating. If it was properly installed with the correct size roll pin but rotates anyway, the roll pin hole is too far away from the forward assist bore to do its job. If so, that is a manufacturing defect and AP should replace the upper. A qualified Gunsmith could tell you for sure with about 2 minutes' work.

thanks for answering the question. But I am not sure I understand completely...your saying the roll pin hole on the upper is the only thing holding the FA from rotating...and that the "flat" that you describe is that on the FA Assembly?

When I bought the Upper Reciever it was new and had the FA installed. I removed the FA to paint. Is it possible I could have screwed it up myself? I did not think to check its function prior to disassembly.

Does anyone know the reputation of Aero for customer service? A contact?

As far as getting rid of the FA. I understand why you guys don't want them. Respect. I don't use it during a malfunction. I shoot three gun more as a fun hobby. I am not competitive.

I am an Old Soldier...I use my FA much like some do a press check with a pistol. It especially gives me comfort when loading at night and I use it in lulls of firing. Maybe a nervous tick kinda thing. I don't even think about it I just do it. You might not have my frame of reference to understand but it gives me comfort.

Edited by HarryO45

Here is a picture of the orientation of the roll pin to the forward assist. The roll limits travel and prevents rotation. If it does not, there is a mechanical problem, or assembly issue. Can't fault you for the nervous tic, I do the same with clicky-pens when I am nervous, especially at doctor appointments. Drives my wife insane. But having something to do when you are waiting in a high stress situation can be the difference between freaking out and not. :)

post-48876-0-66938600-1439571089_thumb.j

The roll pin is the only thing that holds in the forward assist. I would reinstall the forward assist. Punch the pin out and make sure the flat side is on the inside. I think you didn't have the forward assist pushed far enough when it was installed.

I think you didn't have the forward assist pushed far enough when it was installed.

Embarrassed...

I reinstalled and ensured it was pushed in...now it seems to be working. I knew it was oriented correctly because it is an A1 type (bear paw) ...I told you I am "Old School". I have no clue how I had installed two separate FAs and they stayed in and rotated without falling out...but I had. I am still a little puzzled.

I guess if you are at a three gun match and you see a guy with a retro / A1 Foward Assist on his otherwise modern rifle you can presume it is me.

Thanks to all...especially you and Openclassterror!