Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Struggling on Barricades, Open

RippinSVT

Hey guys, I'm currently transitioning from Production/Metallic to Open. I shot roughly 450-460 on barricades in Production, and I'm only shooting 470ish in Open. I'm fine shooting left side...I have to aim low at 35 but that's no biggy. However, I cannot seem to get it together on the right. I'm slow and rushed up close, and further back my groups drift up and right of X. Are there any Open shooters who shoot right handed from the right side? If you switch hands, when do you dump the safety? Do you brace the grip/pronepad into your support arm? I'm just looking for tips here. Shot 1896-130X yesterday in my first full Open practice, but I'm not satisfied with that. Any tips are appreciated.

Edited by RippinSVT

I shoot right side with left hand. (Like most open shooters).

I ride the safety with left thumb just like I do when shooting right handed. So it gets dumped when the left hand gets a grip.

Are your groups high and right if you just shoot it slow fire, untimed?

My prone pad touches my arm, but I try not to use it for support or a brace.

You wont be as rushed up front once you get your technique/rythm down. The barricade is lots of muscle memory/repitition with a little waiting on the dot to stop in the black.

Edited by DWFAN

Practice.Practice. Practice. 10 & 15 are definitley technique, 25 & 35 shooting comes into in. I have two open guns and if zeroed at 50 they both shoot to different point of aim at 35, and to a lesser degree, 25yards on the barricade.The grip, the lockup(of gun and hands) the recoil, feet position, it all make a difference. You can get your technique right in dry fire practice.A bit hard on the door frames but some sacrifices have to be made for progress. On RH side I take a 'long grip' ie. grip the gun by the butt pad, transfer the gun to the left hand and move the right hand to grip the shroud. The gun is then mounted on the barricade.A neutral grip. Not pushing or pulling on the barricade. If you have taken a sight picture you will know exactly where the wings will go on the barricade. I have actually stopped riding the safety and find I get a better grip and more X's consistently. In live fire practice shoot a clean target at 25 and the same at 35.Aim centre, if your shots all end up at 1 O'Clock then the dot goes at 7 O'Clock. Consistent grip, mount and even feet position, make the barricade a 480 gimmee.

Works for me, suck it and see.

Coatesy

More questions = better.

Post a picture of your shroud setup from side and from above. I use tape, we call it X Tape. A small amount of tape on the wings to soften the gun against the barricade. A wrap of tape 1" forward of the wings to allow alignment at 10yards and slide out as you go back. Way easier to show you than explain, but show me your pistol and I will do the same. :goof:

Edited by gm iprod

Good points Richard.

Here is how mine is set up. I get it to this point by going to the range, and at 35 yards, I add tape until when I mount the gun, the dot sits in the X without having to angle the gun.

20150811_162654_zps3392596b.jpg

It is self adhesive medical tape. It's the cheapest around me at a Farm/Tractor supply place.

Edited by DWFAN

This is my older gun, the new one is set up the same for barricade but with a slimmer shroud. If you leave the gap you can maintain maximum contact with the barricade at all distances, but more importantly just slam it in tight at 10 and 15 and you are 99% on the middle, at the back you slide out and really grip on.post-789-0-98575600-1439337745_thumb.jpg

The trick is to wad up about 6" of tape into a rectangle shape about 3/4 of the width of the tape, place that long so the longer side is vertical. Then wrap that three to four times around in tape, start over the top finish over the top. Do not go round 20 times to get the width as the top and bottom also grow and the bottom will trip up on your holster. Hold like so.

post-789-0-42085000-1439348785_thumb.jpg

Edited by gm iprod

I meant to get back with you, but I tried the X-tape and it did wonders. I'm still tossing the occasional 8, but I'm waaaaay more consistent. Still fumbling through procedural/technique stuff, but I'll get there. Shooting a match tomorrow morning, hoping for some learning experiences. I shot the whole barricade under time today, all at 35 yards using 5-8 seconds to challenge myself and was shooting 476 with 35+ X's at that range. I think I'll be ok tomorrow if I remember to unlock my holster and take the safety off left handed! I guess having my own range with the entire AP course set up helps. Just need more trigger time but it's so damn HOT.

Edited by RippinSVT

i have the same problem with the barricade i'm shooting 2 inches high on all 4 distances

would it be better to give 4 click down on my gilmore for the barricade

on the practical i usually drop 2 or 4 points

i shoot a 686 open with a old school gilmore

Grant Jeavons worked with me on my mechanics today. I'm gonna use what I've read here and what he taught me to perfect my technique. I think I shot 464, dropped 10pts to a malfunction at 10 yards, and 3 eights from poor technique up close. After working with Grant, I'm in a much better position. My Practical section was an abortion up close...trying to find the dot and rushing shots, then I limp-wristed into a jam left-handed. Of course my long targets were tidy groups. As much as I trained with my Production gun before Bianchi, I think I'll be able to get decent with my Open gun in short order. Again, I have my own range, there's no excuse to not have my kinks worked out.