Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Netflix/Koob Virus HELP?

I am in the process of changing over from my COMCAST ISP service to AT+T..... yes, I swore hell would freeze over before going back to AT+T but COMCAST has ramped up my monthly rate to $95 for basic ISP with no TV at all!

AT+T provides the same for $50 so I am changing.

I hooked up the ATT modem and got things working, PC was connecting to the internet OK. Then I set up the ATT wireless network to talk to my SONY smart TV that I use to watch NETFLIX videos. I kept getting error messages from netflix and it would not connect. The TV did connect to all the other TV apps.

CALLED NETFLIX: spent an hour on the phone and their tech who took remote control of my PC and ran diagnostics eventually concluding it was not their fault (surprise) and showed me an error code that said "Network compromised" and claimed NETFLIX software would not connect to a compromised network.

Except that: my VIZIO smart TV immediately worked with Netflix and my PC could also access netflix and download video??????? How could the defective network only affect the sony TV?

The tech eventually showed me that my PC had the KOOBFACE virus and also that somebody in Europe was controlling my PC (I am attaching the scan readout). He then tried to steer me to a place that could fix that all for only $250 (one time) or $500 (lifetime). I said no and he hung up on me.

Questions:

1) How is a smart TV part of the "network"? It talks directly to the modem, the PC isn't in the path.

2) Do I need to get something done to my PC to clean it? Any stuff I can do myself so I don't have to get reamed?

BTW: the SONY eventually started working with NETFLIX again on the new ATT wireless system after a couple of hours for no reason I know of.

post-271-0-58729200-1438906464_thumb.jpg

post-271-0-76581200-1438906475_thumb.jpg

Edited by bountyhunter

I've never needed tech support from Netflix but if I did and they hung up on me my next action would be to cancel Netflix.

Bill

The guy spent an hour scanning the computer so he definitely put in some time. He hung up after I declined the overpriced "fix" service he tried to sell me. I want to find out if there is actually something that needs immediate fixing.

Malwarebytes can usually remove an infection on a PC.

https://www.malwarebytes.org/

After that, you need to be sure you have good anti-virus software. The two top rated programs are Bitdefender and Kapersky.

I ran that and it didn't find any actual viruses or malware, just "potentially unwanted programs" which is the usual junk.

I have been running AVG anti virus for years after my brother in law recommended it, he is a programmer.

Edited by bountyhunter

Turn off and disconnect EVERYTHING that accesses the network, including all cell phones, tablets, game boxes... Everything. Absolutely everything. Even unplug the TVs just to be sure.

Unplug the internet router and let it sit for about 10 min. Plug it back in and let it set for about 5 min. Turn on the one TV that's got a problem and let it connect to the network, then check Netflix. If it doesn't work then the problem is with the TV. If it works, the problem is somewhere else.

Turn on one thing at a time and reconnect them then retest everything. Keep doing that until the problem starts. The last item added is probably at fault.

But the "problem" TV started working with netflix after about an hour of screwing around with it for no reason (no changes made) which made me wonder what's going on. My concern is the tech showed me all the terrible problems shown in the black screens after the diagnostics and I wonder if there is anything wrong or if it was just a scam.

Entirely likely that even though he works for Netflix, he moonlights for the other company he was trying to sell you on, and got scared when you refused to buy it because his scam might get exposed. That would explain him hanging up on you. With older browsers before popup blockers became common I was always getting the "warning! your computer has the following viruses on it! You must click this link to get our cleaning service!" kind of messages. Even though I knew there were no viruses.

Once he had remote access to your computer it would have been a piece of cake for him to install the virus while he was stalling you with "diagnostics", then show you that you needed a "service" to fix it. Especially likely if he is hired help in some 3rd world country.

Edited by openclassterror

Depending on what the tech was using, it's possible to get false hits which can lead you down the wrong path. That's why it's important to eliminate other things.

A problem on one smart tv and not another points to the TV, not a computer.

I agree, problem on only one TV makes me think it was the Sony but it had worked fine for a year on the old Comcast internet hookup. The new ATT service worked on the VIZIO but I was getting COMCAST error messages trying to start Netflix on the Sony, the error code indicated "network compromised" but the same network runs all my devices (?) All other apps were working on the Sony, only netflix failed... and then started working eventually.

If I was cynical I might think netflix has a thing that screws up the feed when you change network connections so they can sell you system cleaning software and then they go ahead and release your account after you refuse to buy it and you can go back to using netflix....

This is why I hate changing ANYTHING when it's working, I just want to leave everything alone....

Your screen shots IMO show nothing unusual. The 127.0.0.1 ip is your local host services. The ip 192.168.1.64 should be the PC the screen shot is taken from. The number after the : are the port associated with the IP address. 139 is the windows file sharing and printer services. Your firewall closes this port by default. All the of other ports listed are dynamic local ports used for information transfer with the IP address listed in the second column. You can trace the other ip addresses by doing an ip search.

98.138.140.76 is a yahoo tool bar

98.137.251.253 is yahoo also

208.80.154.224 is wiki media

162.220.223.13 is anexia internet out of Wichita.

So IMO it was the sony's app configuration for Netflix. It just may have taken a while for them to serve up your service. Plus when you called they may have disabled your service while they did whatever.

An ip list will not tell you all the info you need to say it's a virus. Plus if he was remoted into your PC, really no reason too when the problem was the TV, some of the ip's and ports would be because of the remote access. Sounds like he was trying to sell you a service you did not need.

If you virus scanned you should be ok. The TV has nothing to do with your PC. It just uses your network. Since the TV acceses the Internet to use the other apps that worked, it leaves just the netflix app as the issue. If you have not noticed items popping up on your desktop, searches being redirected to other search engines or to pages you did not search on, I wouldn't worry too much. Never click on a pop up that wants you to install a flash update unless it is from the abode. That's how they plant the virus, using the same port as adobe update. You can go to adobe's site to verify your programs are up to date. Don't allow adobe to do updates automatically. You want the update program to inform you when an update is available so you can authorize the download and install.

Edited by Sleddog30