Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fastest Duty Holster

What's the fastest police duty style hoster to draw from?  I know Swede20 uses the Safariland Raptor and is about to get his Master card.  Anyone else use a duty holster that's fast for them?  How do you carry your mags on a duty belt (vertical, horizontal, snapped,unsnapped)?

There's not really a holster that meets the requirements of competition and duty. Duty holsters should have a good retention ability, Comp should be fast. Like anything else practice goes a long way. Please don't sacrifice security for speed on duty. In 13 years I've had 2 idiots go for my pistol while rolling with them. Luckily through training and a couple good elbows to the face they lost. We recently had a female officer assaulted. 2 males, took her weapon, left her laying beaten along the road and left with her patrol car. They let her live because of the gang mentality of killing a female officer. They crashed the car, hi jacked a trucker and made him drive them back to there city. They executed him once they got home. Just goes to show that this shit really does happen. Don't let being competitive influence your equipment selection for duty.

yup..thats why I asked..The Safariland SSIII is really good...When it first came out I got a chance to try it and with a bit of work on technique (it requires a bit different draw stroke) I got down to 1.4 - 1.5 second draws...one OPP instructor I know now teaches that technique after I explained it to him.

Pat

Here was my goal.  I want a holster that has enough retention, that I also can draw from fairly fast.  I'm trying to get on my dept.'s shooting team and didn't want to be at a disadvantage.  I just ordered the safariland 200.  I'll give that a try.  Swede20 is lightning fast with the safariland Raptor that uses the push down hood.  I haven't decided to switch to that design of holster yet.  I'll see how the 200 works for me.

• 2 weeks later...

I recently had a SS III 070 ripped off my duty belt and the felon got my gun out.  Luckily the other officers there heard my screaming about him going for my gun and one directed it into his crotch while two other officers disarmed him while I was headbutting him.  The holster shank broke off of the belt, but I was unable to completely snap up.  Keep in mind that I am the Dept firearms instructor,  teach retention, and am 6'2 250 in shape.  Only good thing about this is that my newbie officers now listen to me when I tell them that it is not a matter of if it will happen, but when!  

I still have faith in the SS III 070, it is about the best holster on the market.  Safariland is testing the ones we have out of that batch to see what is up.  Any mechanical device will fail at some time.  What am I carrying right now as I type, A new Raptor, and it is a better mousetrap!  Try one, you reholster and it automatically goes to level two.  Gotta go, flame suit on!  DougC

• 1 month later...

The Safariland 200 is about the fastest holster you can use for competition. I have used one for State Police Games for several years. I have also used for IDPA matches with fairly good success. It is a Level I holster, a straight top draw, not the best for street but about as fast as you can get. I had mine cut down in the front to the lower edge of the ejection port to make it little easier to use.

Blade Tach makes a holster that qualifies as a duty holster that is very fast. One of the guys on our dept shooting team uses it. I have never tried it but he is very happy with it. Another guy on our team uses the Safariland SLS and is very happy with it, but you have to bring the gun up fairly high to clear the holster

For mag pouches I use the standard Safariland double pouch but with velcro instead of a snap. The velcro tends to release a little easier then a snap. I wear them straight up and down.

I ended-up getting the 200 for work and am using a Gordon Davis for the Police Olympics.  It's just like a 200, but sits a little lower.  By the way, Swede20 was getting .60 draws out of his Raptor.  Definetly something you have to train with.  I watched him go against Michael Voight using a race holster.  Swede20 was just as fast with his Raptor and Stock G20.  Scary!