Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

BAD BARRELL

mro111lland

So over a month ago i decided to by an new open gun it is an sps vista short 9mm major got the gun took it all apart inspcedted the hole thing lubed and reassabled is a nice gun barell fit wery tight slide fit like a glove took it out to break it in after 300 round decided would b best to install a 90 degree mount after that it ran better but all my reloads would not pass the plunk test no matter what i tryed so took it to a local smith who inspcted the chanber what he found was a bump at the bottom of the chamber 3/4 the way around found brss was head spacing on this bump and some time would push past it then woiuld get fail to fire or extract so sent the gun in for repairs i have had the gun for 2 weeks and now the smith has had it for 3 weeks nothing has ben done at what point do i start asking for mony back or a new gun?

When i had it first checked out head spacing was to long just out of spc i infomed him of this he told me that is because the gun is chambered for 9mm major guys like a long chamber so can run 147 grain bullets that responce kinda rased some suspisions on my end he said was gona replace the barell

If it is indeed out of spec then they need to at least replace the barrel as reaming it will only remove the bump. It is true that some people get theirs reamed to be able to increase the OAL of their loads due to 9 major having limited case volume but I doubt this is the case with yours. Most likely a defective barrel which should be replaced by the builder/manufacturer.

Some 9 major shooters like to lengthen the chamber a few thousandths over MINIMUM specs to allow for some carbon and dirt. When you want to set the barrel up for longer loads you extend the throat with a throating reamer. If it only had a bump (which doesn't make sense) a finish reamer should take it out. Just be careful not to apply any down pressure while cleaning it up.

When i had it first checked out head spacing was to long just out of spc i infomed him of this he told me that is because the gun is chambered for 9mm major guys like a long chamber so can run 147 grain bullets that responce kinda rased some suspisions on my end he said was gona replace the barell

I have never heard of anyone shooting 147 grain bullets in open. my understanding, I do not shoot open, is that you want a lighter bullet and slower burning powder so you create enough gas to work the comp.

production shooters seem to shoot 147's with fast powder to lighten recoil impulse and for those that shoot CZ's they seem to need throat reamed a little so that the bullet doesn't jam in the throat.

Taking a barrel out of another gun is not a good idea. You have to fit the barrel to each gun for best results. They will need to fit a new barrel if the old one can be reamed. When you say long chamber do you mean the throat or the head spacing? Folks like long throats for 9 major but they should still head space the same.

• 4 weeks later...

The metro arms sales rep called me on Friday said he has a brand new barrel from my gun is gona ship it out nda Monday so smith should have it Tuesday so hope to have the gun Friday hopfuly it shoots

How do you like your vista other than the barrel issues? Did the barrel end up being the fix to your troubles? How was Metro arms with the warranty replacement, were they pretty good or a pain? Build quality, accuracy, etc? I am looking at getting one of these, but am having a hard time finding any info on them.

Got the gun back they ended up replacing it with a new one even gave me an extrat 170mm mag with it this one runs great no problems at all the smith said the chamber looked like reamer broke or something any way fit and finish on the one is just as good as the other barrel is hard fit lockes up real tight slide to frame fit is nice and tight shoots great 2 inches at 40 yards only thing that bugs me about it is is a commander lengthe slide and recol system so all my other 1911 springs will not work trigger breaks clean at 3.5 lbs every other part in the gun is just standard 1911 parts so all in all am happy with it so far will keep u all up to date