Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best powder check die?

After nearly 10,000 reloads (6k on single stage) I experienced my first squib today. Although I watch the third station very carefully to visually inspect the case for powder one was able to sneak by. Luckily I was doing slow fire drills and the squib case didn't eject.

This now has me in the market for a powder check die for a little extra insurance. I have looked through the forum and am leaning towards the Dillon die or the RCBS lock out die. Thank you for your help!

DIllon forum, and third station reference have me assuming we are dealing with an XL650. The Dillon powder sensor works well. I used mine for probably 10k .45 loads before not bothering with it anymore.

The Dillon Powder Check works very well for me (9mm, .223 and 300BLK). You can adjust it to suit your needs and you can set it up to detect a fairly small range of deviation in your powder. The Dillon Powder Check along with visual inspection/monitoring is good insurance to avoiding a problem.

I've never had one, with tens of thousands of many different handgun and rifle cartridges. I don't see how it's possible unless the powder measure breaks; something you'd notice, and would affect all future charges, not just one in the middle. Am I just lucky?

I've never had one, with tens of thousands of many different handgun and rifle cartridges. I don't see how it's possible unless the powder measure breaks; something you'd notice, and would affect all future charges, not just one in the middle. Am I just lucky?

There are lots of ways to mis-load a cartridge, powder could run low or run out, powder could bridge, your child/wife/girlfriend/boyfriend could interrupt you and you don't finish the stroke correctly, the measure/powder bar jams and doesn't travel correctly, there is a piece of mud/spider web/nest in the cartridge, etc.

I haven't loaded one...yet, in my thousands of rounds. I try to do everything to avoid it.

That being said, I recently had 60 rounds of Sig Sauer 300BLK subsonic "match" ammo and the second cartridge I fired was a squib. I removed the bullet and took the remaining 58 cartridge home to inspect. Three of them had no powder in them. Yes, you read that correctly, out of 60 factory Sig rounds, four didn't have powder.

• 4 years later...
On 7/26/2015 at 8:19 AM, FlightMurse said:

How many of you using a 650 have had a squib before? I had read that progressive presses are more inclined to do this, but I thought that visually inspecting the cartridge would be sufficient.

I had my fist last week and am looking for a good powder check now...