Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

XL650 Dribbles Powder

I set up my new XL650 and am slowly getting it tweaked. Just about there. I have a couple of questions:

1) How satisfied with you of the Dillon powder measure that it will CONSISTENTLY throw what you set it at? I see video of people just pumping out the bullets without ever checking periodically the powder throw. Is the 650 that good?

2) I probably need to make an adjustment, because my machine dribbles powder on just about every throw onto the indexing turnstile. What do I likely need to do to rectify this?

Good question, Flight. After checking, I realize I must have been too violently pushing the handle because I realized it was likely spilling from the index plate turning. I assume I just need to be a little more gentle, or should I be making an adjustment on the machine.

I am reloading .40 with Hornady HAP 180-grain. What's been frustrating is getting the same powder reading. For instance, I set the measure up to where I was getting 6.3-6.5 on my Franklin Arsenal digital scale (Alliant Unique). I came back in about an hour or so and it was reading 7 grains without having moved anything. I am now beginning to suspect the Franklin.

Is there a better digital scale that is reasonably accurate that won't break the bank. I was reading about the Gem Pro250. Any suggestions?

First, try a new set of batteries in your scale, electronic scales are very sensitive to voltage (and florescent lights). The only time I check powder weights is when I change powder or the load. Every time I checked it for the 3 years that I've had mine, I've never had to adjust the weight (it's that consistent). Powder spillage is more common with 9mm but the causes are the same. I load major 9 so my cases are very full. I had already done the index ball replacement, the Torrington bearings on the shell plate, and getting a better rhythm on my pull. Still had powder all over the shell plate. What cured it was taking the powder check station out, what was happening was that the powder was sticking to the probe of the checker and when the shell plate advanced the powder fell off. After removing the powder check, I haven't had to clean any powder off the shell plate in months.

I use a RCBS 505 scale for all of my reloading career and it has proven to be very accurate and reliable. I am sure that a digital scale would be convenient for some things, but for checking charge weights I feel the beam style makes the job easier. Just set the scale to the load you want, throw a charge into it, and see if the needle lines up.

Push down on the edge of the shellplate at station 4. If it feels springy, then snug the shellplate bolt a bit more. This reduces the snap as the detent ball locates the shellplate. A smooth, consistent speed while operating the handle helps too.

Also, one of the best (and easiest mods) I've done to reduce powder slinging is adding an o-ring to one of the locator buttons. In my case I grooved a #3 locater button and put an o-ring on it from the hardware store (forget what number it is, but can find out).

Works amazingly well.

There are a couple posts on the forum that describes it better if you want to search.

What Dillon said above is important, that you limit the wobble in the shell holder. It will also make the OAL more consistent.

A simple trick to stop the shell plate from 'snapping' is to rest your finger on the shell plate as it rotates.

Once you learn how much pressure to apply as the shell plate rotates, your powder spill will be zero.

One note on your powder measure. If the press has been sitting awhile with powder in the hopper, when restarting, your first powder drop will be some what larger because of the powder will compact from normal vibrations, sonic booms, etc over time. I always throw away the first drop and then test the next one.

Ok..since this topic is out there , I'm getting powder falling out of the charge bars right under the hopper when it being cycled. It seems to do it with different types of powder. I've already pulled them apart and had them made perfectly flat (machine shop)

Ok..since this topic is out there , I'm getting powder falling out of the charge bars right under the hopper when it being cycled. It seems to do it with different types of powder. I've already pulled them apart and had them made perfectly flat (machine shop)

I had this exact issue with one of my powder measures while running WST. Dillon sent me an oversize spacer that completely stopped the powder from "leaking" out of the powder measure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Razor fish where did the spacer go. Do you remember what the part was called? Thanks

Technically it's called the "small powder bar spacer". (The chunk of aluminum that sits on top of the small powder bar.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk