Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon 650 9mm sizing/priming & seating die options?

I'm looking at setting up a 2nd toolhead with 9mm for my 650. I have a spare .40 toolhead with powder measure that I'm currently not using and with different 9mm pistols I shoot which require different OAL and crimp, I was going to set a 2nd one up for my shooter bullets. I already have a spare Lee Factory Crimp die, so just need the sizing/priming and seating dies.

I could order a couple directly from Dillon, but I know some of the shops and ranges carry other dies (Lee, RCBS). With just needing these 2 dies to get up and running and maybe being able to find them locally, can you reloaders tell me...

- Will either of these brand of 9mm dies fit into the Dillon toolhead OK (all standard size and threading)?

- Will either of these be as good or even better then the Dillon dies?

Yes, all the mentioned ones will work. I personally prefer Dillon dies for my 9mm, although I have a Redding Competition Seating for easier adjustments.

Some prefer the Lee sizing die stating it sizes lower down the case. I machine the bottom of my Dillon sizing die down a little to do the same.

I prefer the Dillon taper crimp die and loath the Lee Factory Crimp as it sizes down the bullet and creates accuracy issues (more so for Lrn, plated or moly rather than FMJ) YMMV

I just threw the Lee dies I had on mine to see if they would work before upgrading, and I haven't found the need to upgrade yet. How many different bullet profiles are you loading, and how often do you change OAL? Might be worth finding something with a micrometer seater.

I just threw the Lee dies I had on mine to see if they would work before upgrading, and I haven't found the need to upgrade yet. How many different bullet profiles are you loading, and how often do you change OAL? Might be worth finding something with a micrometer seater.

I'm starting to shoot my CZ and may shoot my Shield in IDPA bug matches and need to load those shorter then my Glock. I may be switching back and forth for a while between the 2. Some in the club has an RCBS die set their going to let me have so I'll try that.

I use a Lee sizing die, Redding competition seating die and Dillon tamper crimp die on my 650 loading 9mm. I have a Lee FCD but have heard mixed reviews. Since the round I loading is really accurate with what I using I afraid to change it.

You mention in you original post "shooter bullets"....if that means lead with wax lube then... The new style seater and crimper have removable hitch pins so the core of the die can be removed and cleaned without affecting the die body settings. This is a unique feature of Dillon dies that sets them far above other manufacturers.

Most seating dies are the same with the exception of the Redding and a couple others. The Redding completion not only gives the convenience of micrometer adjustment, it also has a floating stem and sleeved thus reduces bullet run out. The Hornady seater is also available with a crude but effective micrometer knob and also has a floating bullet alignment sleeve and stem considered to be the poor mans Redding Competition Seating Die.