Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

147 BBI load questions

Flash74

I worked up some loads for 147gr BBI flat point with W231 powder. The velocities I am getting do not seem to jive with the search results I have gotten off this site. All were shot with an M&P Pro 9 with Storm Lake barrel.

W231 avg vel. avg PF

3.3gr 952 139.9

3.4gr 967 142.1

3.5gr 975 143.3

3.6gr 996 146.4

3.7gr 1011 148.6

All were 10 shot averages and loaded to 1.125" OAL. The day was sunny and 70 degrees. The chronograph was 10ft in front of the muzzle and was in the shade with sky screens and a clear sky above.

It seems like my results are 7-10PF above the results of others in the searches I have done on this site. It seems 3.4gr grains is the norm for a 130-135 PF load on this site, but I am getting 142PF. Am I loading too short? Do I have a "fast" barrel? The 45 loads and 40 loads I chronographed at the same time were what was expected from Enos search results and previous chronograph results. My 9mm 124gr Xtreme loads I am phasing out also matched previous chronograph results so I dont think it was a chrono setup issue. Maybe I am being paranoid and should be happy using 3-3.1 grains to get 130-135 PF in my 9mm. When I can chrono again I will see if I have similar results.

tcazes, the board over the chrono is a good idea. I will try that next time.

deerassassin22, all of the coated bullets I have tried in the past have shot and chronoed the same. I have not experienced BBI's Hi-Tek coated bullets being faster than anyone else's coated bullets in 40. (All my experience with coated bullets has been in 40 cal so far) Are you perhaps referring to the old moly coated bullets? The searches I referred to in my original post were for loads using W231 and coated 147gr bullets.

Just chronoed 147gr BBI over 3.5 gr 231, OAL 1.115, average velocity was 923 ft/sec, so around 50 ft/sec lower than your results. Could the storm lake barrel be the reason or is it the chrono?

I wish I knew. I am going to try to replicate the results when I get a chance. I hardly ever get to the range to practice or chrono. I am always at a match or camping with my family on the weekends. I am not too worrried, I only use 9mm for 3gun. It doesn't have a power factor. As long as the steel falls I am good.