Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bypass shell release on versamax

Mbauer67

Does anyone know how to bypass/disable the shell release on a versamax. I know some people like this function, but I really hate not being able just rack out a shell when needed. Honestly I don't get the point of it but that really doesn't matter now. It goes with out saying the gun must remain 100% reliable, but I hve the skills to pretty do any type of modification without making paper weights.

Thanks for any input.

You can rack out the remaining rounds, just hold it down. I'd be surprised if you could disable it without disabling the gun, that's how the trigger group and shell latch work together. It's endimic to the system and hitched a ride when Remington copied Benelli. The bolt only really interfaces with the trigger group as it relates to the litter, it doesn't interface with the shell latch.

If you have the skills to pretty much do anything, "disable" this feature and tell everyone how you did it. I am sure there are lots of folks who would like to know how.

If you have the skills to pretty much do anything, "disable" this feature and tell everyone how you did it. I am sure there are lots of folks who would like to know how.

Nothing like getting called out by the infamous Kurt killer miller, I might have apply some brain cells to this, but I was really to get a head start

On the flip side Google up the complaints that owners of the 930, 1301 and other similar guns have about those gun's potential to dump shells into the action when the bolt release button is activated at the wrong moment (a function of some hinged shell release designs). That's a problem you do not have with the Benelli design.

Just thinking out loud I can envision some type of cam on the bolt that releases the shell release as the bolt cycles. The devil is in the details, but some guy named Browning once came up with a design to make a 1873 Winchester run full auto...

EiSUqmE.png

I wasn't calling you out, I was saying do it. As Austin pointed out, all you have to do to just rack shells out is to hold the little lever by the trigger up as you rack the bolt. Maybe start by removing this little lever entirely and see what happens. Remember I said maybe, I didn't tell you that it would work, that is for you to decide to do or not.

On the flip side Google up the complaints that owners of the 930, 1301 and other similar guns have about those gun's potential to dump shells into the action when the bolt release button is activated at the wrong moment (a function of some hinged shell release designs). That's a problem you do not have with the Benelli design.

Just thinking out loud I can envision some type of cam on the bolt that releases the shell release as the bolt cycles. The devil is in the details, but some guy named Browning once came up with a design to make a 1873 Winchester run full auto...

EiSUqmE.png

Wonder if he ever tried this? Looks like the rain cap off my Farmall.

EiSUqmE.png

I have been a long time slp user and only once have I ever pressed the shell release button and jammed shells together, and that was on purpose because I wanted to know how to clear such a malfunction.

Step one would be figuring out a way to keep the button depressed and see if the gun still runs as normal.

Edited by Mbauer67