Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI Edge Thumb Rest

I need help to decide if it is really worth to put a hole on my Edge to install a thumb rest or just get a Nitro Fin. I bought the gun used and came with a thumb rest. At this point I was thinking to take it to the smith to drill and hole or just get a Nitro Fin thumb rest. I am comparing between the price of the Nitro Fin which is $120.00 or just might cost me around $100.00 to drill and tap the slide to install the "Gogun" thumb rest. Thanks.

So I presume that the Nitro Fin has flatter feel compared to the Phoenix Trinity Thumb rest which is more upright position. I kinda get the feel of the Gogun and like the position of my thumb. I might consider the Phoenix Trinity but my question is if it is a drop in or need a minor fitting. Thanks.

I just installed a DAA adjustable thumb rest on my STI and I like it more than the ones that replace the slide stop, but really it comes down to personal preference. If you buy the nitro fin/PT one, and don't like it, you can always post it to the classifieds, someone is bound to pick it up.

So I presume that the Nitro Fin has flatter feel compared to the Phoenix Trinity Thumb rest which is more upright position. I kinda get the feel of the Gogun and like the position of my thumb. I might consider the Phoenix Trinity but my question is if it is a drop in or need a minor fitting. Thanks.

For me just a drop in. Ran perfect after ten second install.

It was recommended to drill a detent to engage the stop in the plunger. PT leaves it out so each stop can be set up for a perfect fit. I have never found it necessary though.

I run a go gun on my open gun now and grip and thumb position are pretty much the same.

In my experience drilling a limited gun for a thumb rest narrows its resale market.

I know that I will keep this gun but if that is the case, I will just pick the PT thumb rest instead of drilling.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

I got the PT when I wanted to try a thumb rest simply because it didn't require drilling. took a bit of getting used to and a slight change in grip for me but I'm starting to really like it. Had to dremel a bladetech holster for it to fit for 3gun, but I got it working :). USPSA I use a race holster so no issues there.

I got the PT when I wanted to try a thumb rest simply because it didn't require drilling. took a bit of getting used to and a slight change in grip for me but I'm starting to really like it. Had to dremel a bladetech holster for it to fit for 3gun, but I got it working :). USPSA I use a race holster so no issues there.

I am using a Safariland 014 holster so I guess using PT thumb rest won't be a problem. Thanks for your input.

I am using a Safariland 014 holster so I guess using PT thumb rest won't be a problem. Thanks for your input.

I just bought and received the PT today. I like it but got a couple of question about the holster that you were using? At first I thought that the holster I have is fine but the thumb rest is too big that it was sitting outside the holster. I was thinking of maybe using a dremel to remove the part on the left side of the holster so that the gun can rest all the way inside the holster. By the way I am using a Safariland 014 holster. Just need an opinion or maybe you can show me how the PT rest on your holster. I also tried to manually lock the slide using the PT but it seems it can't hold the slide. Is this something normal or I need to do some modification to the thumb rest? Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Have u had any issues with slide locking back on u ? My pistol locked back half way through mags today

It helps to put a detent in it.

It's a "Murphy" deal, never locks up in practice and always does on the classifier!!!

Have u had any issues with slide locking back on u ? My pistol locked back half way through mags today

It helps to put a detent in it.

It's a "Murphy" deal, never locks up in practice and always does on the classifier!!!

Exactly how it happened to me yesterday first stage was a classifier had 5 lock ups in 18 rounds ... Zeroed the stage

Yeah, def need to put a detent in it.

my understanding is PT didn't pre drill it on account of the small dimensions variables between guns. I did one by hand with a dremal bit. Did the rest with a drill press. Came out awesome.

U have more info on how to do these where to drill exactly any pics would help

my understanding is PT didn't pre drill it on account of the small dimensions variables between guns. I did one by hand with a dremal bit. Did the rest with a drill press. Came out awesome.

5e8fe8c904d288a33677c3d82e8cd7a9.jpg

This is my first time to post a picture so sorry for the multiple pictures that I posted. Hope this layout will help.
Edited by tanfoglio1911

b98fc1f957318b34fffd88317d662a02.jpg

Edited by tanfoglio1911