Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

cant load primers dillon 550

1. after not using the rl 550, i wanted to load 380 with small pistol primers. I used the yellow loading tip and the primers got stuck in the plastic. i had another new one and replaced it but they still became stuck sometimes. I put the blue tipped magazine tube in and turned it so it clicked. The primers completely emptied out of the tube on to the press. The plastic rod that keeps the primers tamped down and the battery primer warning device went on because none of the primers stayed in the tube. Now i KNOW i am doing something completely wrong. Help please. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I read the manual and i still am stumped

Geoffrey P. Radoff,M.D

OK Doc. You may be confusing the primer pick up tube (yellow tip) with the primer tube that stays in the machine. The yellow tip is supposed to hold each primer (get stuck) as you push down on more and more primers (shiny side up) to fill it. You then invert that yellow tipped primer pick up tube with the hitch pin end down and the yellow tip up high. Pull the pin to release all the primers down into the primer magazine on the machine. I can't recall the plastic tip color for small primers in the primer magazine in the machine (check manual). You probably saw a zillion patients today and can't shift to a lower gear :^)

no, i didnt confuse the tubes. the blue one tip magazine...i twisted it in and the yellow tip, i did invert it to get it inot the primer loader.

but its still hopeless

HELP PlEASE

What do you mean by the primers getting stuck? Where? Is the primer pickup assembly not picking one up so when you push the lever back up there is no primer to seat? Sometimes that happens to me if it gets a little dirty under the moving part. I have to give a little tug on it a time or two so it goes back just that nth of an inch to allow the next primer to be picked up. If it get's too bad I have to pull the whole primer assembly off and clean under it. Only happens after I load quite a few rounds.

Hopefully, you do still have the clear plastic end on the small primer tube, it has a retaining clip to keep primers in the tube until you load the primer magazine. That magazine (for small primers) should have a blue tip, and as mentioned above, insert and gently twist until seated. You should not have any difficulty loading small primers in the small primer tube (yellow tip) merely press on the shiny side and load gently. I did have a problem with one of my Small tubes and Dillon replaced it. I can understand your frustration, been there, done that, but I still use my old RCBS primer tubes that don't have a plastic receiver end, but slots cut into the tube work the same way. I am fortunate because the local Dillon dealer is a good friend and held my hand thru the setup process.