Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.38 super moon clips

shooterdoc

I had trouble with the blue stamped clips also.

I couldn't get them to load and finally messed up the tips of the unload side.

Sent it back to BTM and after a couple of phone calls I asked them to send me one with one of the load cams and unload tips machined off. They did and it loads great now. Takes half the pressure loading one at a time.

The unload tip still messed up after a while so I just use a tube type demooner to unload and the BMT to load them.

I called them after I used it for a while and they said they would make that mod to all the Super tools they made from then on out.

Easy to make that mod yourself just grind off one of the cams.

I still feel the tool is worth the price just as a loading tool.

I have problems with my wrist from years of abuse at work and I don't have the strength to twist the tool or open a jar like I used to.

I even made a handle to hold the BMT tool for more leverage so loading is them one at a time with one cam ground off is super easy.

The BMT tool Is a great design that works great with most calibers. The 38 super is by far the hardest moonclips I have tried to load.

I'd had the same issue. Also the blue ones wouldn't quite fit on the center hub of the BMT. Didn't want to fault either TK or BMT and with a bit off file/sanding I got them to go. They could be tough to load/unload. I had ordered some of the stainless clips. Interestingly they were marked 929 9mm but from a call to Tom K. I was told they would work. And they do. And I just ordered 20 more so I can have a shiny lot of 30 stainless moons loaded for each match. FYI there's a string here on enos about a Flambeau utility box from Lowe's that holds all thirty perfectly. For 3 bucks. Brilliant.

I've loaded moons in all sorts of ways and I really like the BMT. And I like the idea of only having one load/unload cam on the BMT. May have to try it and that could put the blue clips back in the rotation.

Note if you have trouble with a BMT loading or unloading because it is stiff, or burring rims/tool try running 2 screws into your work bench so the base of the BMT fits between them. Then leave the BMT on the bench and put all of your pressure on pushing down and twisting.

I had trouble with new hearthco's and new starline brass. Did the above for several loadings and now everything can be done by hand.

Think it had to do with sharp edges and tight brass.

I have problems with my wrist from years of abuse at work and I don't have the strength to twist the tool or open a jar like I used to.

What a coincidence--Shooterdoc has problems with his wrist from years of self-abuse at home.