Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm .356 125 GR HAP Bullets

cwall64

I have had great performance out of the HAP line of bullets, and ordered some of these to work up some loads for as they were listed in Hornady's webpage under the 9mm selection. When I looked in their #9 manual they are not listed and not much data on them in other manuals I have, so I contacted Hornady. Their response was:

"Mr. Wall we did not design this .356 diameter bullet for the 9mm Luger. It was designed for the 38 Super. I know that Hodgdon does have some data for this bullet in the 9mm Luger on their web site."

Has anyone else used these, or is the .356" too big for jacketed bullets in a 9mm Luger pistol (H&K USP and VP)? I do have Longshot and I could use the Hodgdon data, but I also don't do any damage...

They're excellent for 9mm. You won't do any damage. WIl Schuemann recommends a jacketed bullet of .001 to .002 inches larger than the bore, and lead bullets .002 to .003 inches larger for the best accuracy.

Kind of funny I received a followup message today, I suppose from a different tech:

"The previous response should have been a bit more in-depth, in that it is not specifically designed for the 9mm but it does not mean that you can’t use it you just need to start at the minimum load data and work up. This would be the same as our 44 caliber bullets being .430” rather than .429” which is what most other companies use as a diameter. The .001” in bullet diameter, in a lead core/copper jacketed bullet, is not a bad thing as it will-in most cases-be a more accurate bullet i.e. the .356” bullet for the 38 Super, Super Comp, 9X23 and others."

Thanks to all for the information!

Hey that's cool that they actually clarified. I say shoot them. They will seal the bore better, probably have a little more umph and should definitely have some excellent accuracy since they will have a better spin on them from bore seal

Yes that's why the Zero 125 .356 JHP is so popular. Many shooters find it a whisker more accurate.....than the 9mm equivalent. I am in the happy group that prefers the .356 diameter bullets.

YMMV