Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Speed Metal - help me get faster!

I shoot a FAL in Heavy Optics, and I've been working on my speed lately. Most "Heavy Metal" rules around here specify one hit ANYWHERE on target neutralizes the target, and I generally spend too much time refining my sight picture and shooting all Alphas. My goal today was to run the "V-Drill" faster and faster until I started to miss targets completely, and then try and learn to shoot comfortably at JUST BELOW that pace. For the record - the actual V-Drill uses 5 targets and you place two shots on each. I only have 3 target stands, and I wanted to drill the single shot per target idea so I modified it a bit.

Only problem was that I just couldn't shoot fast enough to miss. I did nine separate runs - slowest time was 2.18 seconds and fastest time was 1.88 seconds. The only time I missed any targets (missed two) it was 1.92 seconds. I did a 1.88 second run two different times, and on one of them not only did I hit all my targets, but I hit the "0-down" (alpha) portion of the target for all five shots.
That tells me I'm STILL not shooting fast enough. When I pull the trigger as fast as I can into the berm (no target), I average 0.20 second splits. So in theory I should be doing this drill in about 1 second if I can reach the limits of my trigger pulling speed. Any idea how to get there???
Or is this good enough for now and I should just practice loading my shotgun?
Here's one of the 1.88 second runs:
Edited by Matt in TN

If you can run that pace and get A's all day I'd say there's gotta be lower hanging fruit to work on. I might try doing that same drill but at 50yds, obviously it'll be slower but it will quickly expose any flaws with trigger control or recoil management, and make for a more well rounded shooter.

I might try doing that same drill but at 50yds, obviously it'll be slower but it will quickly expose any flaws with trigger control or recoil management, and make for a more well rounded shooter.

I have different drills for that! Maybe it's just my ego getting in the way, but it seems like I should be winning the close rifle stages since I only have to take one shot per target when everybody else is taking two - so I figured I'd try to practice that a little more.

Or is the .308/.223 difference enough that it doesn't matter?