Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Aftermarket Sights for 625

8ring

I bought the 625-3 (see February 27 post) but find the black patridge front sight somewhat difficult to see, especially with the stock rear sight. I'm D level revolver shooter. I need suggestions regarding the gold bead vs. fiber optic front sights. (I find the green fiber optic sight on my GP-100 helps with short and medium-distance targets but is not great for small distant targets.)

Also, do you have suggestions on the width of a new rear sight. SW's web site shows a variety of widths as does Jack Wiegand's site.

I know much is a matter of taste but I would appreciate your comparisons.

Thanks,

Chris

8ring,

I am 38 and pay my eye doctor to make sure I can see !!! <_<

I am using the Factory Front and the Medium real Millett (Brownells)...

The Millett has a large enough groove that I can see through them like I like to.

Before you go buy a new sight just get some paint and try different colors to see if that helps....

I have tried the Fiber optic on others guns and they seemed to be too much for me... all I could see was a big green or red blob.

the gold bead may be the trick.... but I would try the Paint first. ;)

Hope that helps....

Hopalong

Where are you at ? You can try mine out sometimes

I have the .125 wide SDM fiber optic and the .140 wide Weigand rear sight blade and I absolutely love the combination! Everyone has their own preferences, but the Weigand blade gives a precise "Bo-Mar-like" sight picture just like I am used to on my Limited gun, with enough depth to the notch and good light on both sides of the front blade.

I use a Weigand rear (but will probably switch to Millet). Both are good but the Weigand's can be a bit sensitive if you use them a long time. They tend to be more susceptible to being bent. They are excellent if you can protect them.

SDM fiber optic front sight. Started with green, tried gold bead, switched to red.

The green works great outside but the red seems to be easier to pick up in lower light and on the brown targets. Gold bead was great also but I would put head shots over the top of the target (even using the same sight height). There is just enough sight above the bead to mess me up so I switched back to red fiber optic. It seems to keep me looking at the front sight. I find the green blends into the bright background during the summer months.

On my 625 I had .125 red fibre front and the weigand rear blade, was great for outdoors IPSC style shooting. I had a smaller .40 front fibre optic in red for service / accuracy type matches, found it better for defining shot picture.

Keeping that in mind I haven't used iron sights for about 18 months, enjoy doing the c-more search too much.. ;)

Back when I was real serious about shooting pins with a revolver, I learned I liked a front site a little narrower than stock. Still true today. I was always a big fan of black on black, no paint or gold beads or diamond inlays or nothin'. These days I find I sorta like the FO sights (either SDM or EGW) with the red insert in place.

I've always used Millett rear sights, and feel they are the best option for the back end. I've installed the Weigand blades, but they don't seem quite as sturdy--they tend to get sorta wobbly sorta quickly. They give a great sight picture, though, during the time they remain nice and black--since they are made of aluminum, though, you can't cold-blue them when the anodizing wears through.

Jerry likes those gold beads. I don't know why, but so did Ed McGivern.

Fast and fancy, I guess.

Mike