Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

cost-effective

blacklab

You have to do both tuning the gun to the load and tuning the load to the gun.

Let me get this straight, you want to run an Open gun, but you don't want all the work that goes with running an Open gun.

I suggest you stick with Production.

I don't mind doing some work, but I do have limited time and there is ALOT more involved in shooting open then I realized. That's why I'm here talking to you fine folks. I don't want to spend my hard earned money and be disappointed with the out come. I'm like most people cost and time is a limiting factor.

Edited by blacklab

I usually use time I would normally be using to sleep in on my days off. I will get up at my normal time and just go out to my shop and load about 500 rounds or so and then come back inside for some breakfast. That way while everyone else is sleeping I can do what I need to do and still be able to spend my time with my family once they are up. Time management is the name of the game both on the course and off.

I am on call 24/7/365.

I make time to do what is necessary to play this game.

When I made the change to Limited I worked up a load for the gun and loaded in bulk when the time presented itself. Having a Dillion 650xl makes loading 500rds an hour a leisurely endeavor.

I just bought a new DVC Open gun in 9major. While the gun runs great with major PF ammo, I am still trying to find a load that feels right.

It all takes effort and time. Find it, if you want to play the game correctly, or stick to Production.

(This is not meant to be condescending, but a reality check for this sport.)

It is not the matter of time, but the desire. To be a gentleman racer? To show up for a race, then change to Armani cloth and go to a country club?

Why not?

But to truly enjoy what this sport offers, you really need to become a grease monkey.

To each his own.

It seems a lot of people shooting open cause themselves more problems by tinkering with things. Buy a gun, keep it stock, and put ammo in it. Everyone I know that starts messing with every little thing to pick up a little here and a little there could be spending their time getting better at stage planning and movement.

You don't need to work up loads with X number of powders and try every kind of bullet you can find to be good. Just shoot the darn thing and enjoy it. When you need the last 1-2% to make GM, then start messing with stuff. Like they always say, it's the Indian, not the arrow.

Load it, shoot it, call it good!

Wow. There's been a lot of good info here. Thanks for all thy reply's. I took everyone's post into consideration and had a long talk with a friend who dabbles in hand loads. Sounds like the best option for me is to save up a little longer, sell a kidney and buy a Trubor in 9mm. My friend said that we should be able to work up a load that the gun runs on and I feel comfortable with. There's a local company that does custom loading for a reasonable price. All I have to do is give him the load data and my brass. I know it's not ideal, but it's comprise that works best for me at this point in my life. Clint Eastwood said it best. " Sometimes you have to improvise, overcome and adapt." Thanks to everyone for pointing me in the right direction. Forgot to mention, BigCraig I sooooo envy you. I would love to buy a new DVC and spend the time with it you do. :bow: Unfortunately it's not realistic for me.

Edited by blacklab

best option for is sell a kidney and buy a Trubor in 9mm.

You'll Never regret it ... we have two kidneys ....

much better to have one kidney and one TruBor. :bow:

Developing a load is Real Simple - load 6.8 gr

WAC under a 124 JHP, and you'll probably be

good to go. :surprise:

Until you get into Big Matches - then you'll have to

chrono your load to get to PF 170 or so. Might need

to bump it up a bit.