Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My DQ Story

robport

I was hesitant to put this out there, but if it will help someone else...then so be it. To start, I'm in my upper 50's and just took up the sport about 18 months ago.

I was almost ready to go to only my second sanctioned match. Since I was a little worried about being caught during the scarecrow check and 5.11 was dumping range vests for a great price, I bought one.

The day before the event, I felt like crap. I still had a lingering virus that I couldn't shake. I decided I wasn't going, but the wife spoke up and said I needed to go. I left at 0300 and drove there.

It was hot and humid, but I was feeling slightly better. I thought I was drinking enough water, but wasn't. I had made it through more than half

the stages when it happened:

I was on a stage when you start facing up range, turn and engage targets while moving back downrange. I had a little trouble shooting on the move, and emptied a whole magazine for makeup shots it turned out I didn't need. I was nervous and probably a little dehydrated again, I guess.

As I was backing up to the next firing position, it happened. I was sliding by the stage prop, let's call it a gas pump, when the cut piece of hose sticking out off the side of it slipped under my arm and through the arm hole in the vest. When it planted itself on the front right side of the vest, it felt like someone had grabbed my shoulders and spun me around, probably at least 40 degrees (my old vest would have just disintegrated...lol).

I immediately turned back and moved downrange to get off of it, since I was stuck. About that time, I heard "muzzle" from the berm on the left. It was too late. The RSO said nothing until I had worked my way free and by then, the RSO must have registered the muzzle call from the other guy and called stop. It was probably very quick, but was an eternity to me. At the least, I guess it was good that I was at slide lock when it happened.

I didn't argue. I have no doubt I had broken the boundary, even though a few with a decent visual line said I was close, but didn't later. (I'm sure they were just trying to be nice though.)

Hanging my head in shame, I gathered my gear, got back into my car and drove home (except for one magazine that I lost).

In retrospect, I've learned that I need to inspect stage props more carefully during the walkthrough and give them more room as I back up. I hadn't even noticed that hose during the walkthrough.

I also learned to drink a lot more water than you think you need, even if you aren't thirsty. On one earlier stage, my weak hand was shaking like crazy until I drank two bottles of water and it went away.

I did notice, in several pictures taken after my group went through that stage, that the hose was turned down and downrange, so it looks like they fixed it after I left. At least that was something.

Also, I really appreciate those that have told their DQ stories. I would have probably given up this great sport, when it happened, if I hadn't read those.

One other tip. lots of water is important but add in the odd gatorade etc too. You do need some electrolytes etc and they will give you those. A friend at the world shoot found himself sapped of energy. Had drunk plenty of water but was drained of electrolytes.

You've learned something from the experience (give the stage props + walls plenty of room) and it's a good lesson to learn. :)

• 1 month later...

I would say that it's a learning experience, just in that a faulty stage prop tangled you up. Could happen to anyone! I guess the lesson is when unexpected things happen, you must still be aware of the muzzle direction. So it wasn't all your fault, and it was a confusing situation so don't take it hard at all.