Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon 1050 - Jerk / Thud after decapping issue

After several thousand rounds, my wonderful 1050 machine feels a little clunky - after recovering from a Berdan primer decapping jam. I missed this Berdan in my visual inspection and it jammed the decapping die. I don't remember what exactly I did to free up, but here's what's happening:

1. The action up and down is still very smooth without any rounds in the de capping or expander stations. However, with a round either in the decapping or expander stations, the downstroke is smooth. It feels like something sticks on the way up. Initially the handle and the cam turn but the shaft doesn't move up. Then there is a clunk with a jerk and the shaft starts moving up.

2. I tried replacing dies, tightening up the 4 white tabs, ensured the top bolt, the screw on the cam are also tight.

Can't figure out what's wrong and therefore what I need to do.

Experts please help!

Edited by Czman

Did you break the lower crank arm? p/n 11063

That, or the index pawl would be the first two places I'd look. If the index pawl's hole is wallowed out, it will cause inconsistent/erratic shell plate rotation.

Edited by Brassaholic13

Nothing obvious seems broken. I opened up the main crank and put it back together.

Decapping die is not the issue because I replaced - and it also happens at the next station.

Powder funnel also not an issue - this is related to the crank action. Happens with funnel out.

I will look into primer bar - but unless sticking causes a thud on the main crank action, unlikely.

I asked my wife for help moving a couple of things and she pulled out a primer from the area of the main crank. Not sure where it came from but it was full of grease.

My gut tells me I have broken or deformed some part of the gear system in the main crank assembly. I think it is slipping on the upstroke, then catches on, causing the thud as it snaps in, and engages. Somehow, a round in the first two stations makes enough of a difference in the friction or effort during upstroke (yes, lubed with a hornady case lube inside and outside the case) to cause the slip and thud.

My gut also tells me that this should have never happened. I was using the Dillon original die and the decapping pin should have broken before the machine got damaged. I will likely switch to my Redding - that would have likely broken the pin first.

Any guidance on how to identify the minimal repair necessary?

I seriously doubt you have broken a part of the main machine assembly. If you had any idea of the abuse I put my motorized 1050s through!

It is possible you switched a universal decapping die with one that has a neck expander ball? That could cause a catch on the upstroke if this is rifle. You didn't say if it was rifle or pistol that I saw.

I noticed with just 1 piece of brass in the crimp station (using FCD) or the sizing station the upstroke sort of pops. Its the brass being retained by the shell plate and as the die slides up the brass is being held in the shell plate causing the plate to flex and at the point the brass lets go of the die it pops back down. With all stations full I dont notice this any more.

Areas where I have the klunking/sticking on my 1050's on the upstroke.

1. The sizing die, drawing out without some type of case lube is more noticeable. Also if the shell plate is not tightened down.

2. The swage back up/expander will stick more if you clean the cases in wet media. It make the case stick to the expander.

Seems the carbon build up on the inside of the case acts as a dry lubricant. You get the same feeling with brand new cases.

Lubing the inside of the cases and or backing out of the expander may help.

3. The Mr. bulletfeeder powder funnel does the same as above.

4. Crimping die, over crimping makes the same sound and feeling. Try less crimping.

As always YMMV.

Did you make an "up grade" to a stainless steel wet tumbler lately? If so try some of your old dry tumbled cases and see if that helps.

In any case, you say it is smooth empty, so you should be able to isolate it to the operation(s) that it is "sticky" by station. If it is everything that sizes the inside or outside of the case, lube would likely fix your problem.

Only 8 stations, should only take a minute to find the culprit.

My best advice it to isolate and elimate. Find the offending station , one at a time, and fix them one at a time. A progressive is noting but a single stage at this point and problems are as easily solved.

Edited by jmorris