Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Frustration with Sellers of Used Guns

jbarnett50

I recently picked up a used STI Framed SVI Sight Tracker 2011 that was supposedly built by well known builder (not on this site). The seller stated that there were no known problems with the gun and I should be able to compete with it upon receipt. Well, that was hardly the truth. I took it to the range to test fire it and proceeded to put a round in the ceiling when the hammer followed the slide. Fortunately, the gun didn't go full auto because I had a full mag. I detail stripped the gun twice to look for the cause of the hammer follow, but don't know enough about hammer sear interaction to fix the issue. Still had hammer follow after putting it together, but only when when I test fired the gun with one round in the mag. It stayed cocked racking the slide by hand.

I ended up taking it to a gun builder I know and he couldn't believe the gun was built by the well known builder, because he has seen the builder's work before. The gun had poor fitting work on numerous parts, a hammer spring that was too light, and an SVI trigger in an STI frame (trigger bow is too long), and a 1911 main spring with material removed from the sear leaf. Thankfully, he is a friend and gave me a deal on all the work.

Now my question is what to do about the transaction? Should I give the seller a poor rating on the selling site and let others know his name on this site as somebody to avoid doing business with? He claims he was selling the gun for a friend and had never shot the gun, so he did not know about the hammer follow issue. To his credit, the hammer did stay cocked when racking the slide. However, shouldn't I be reimbursed for what I spent to put the gun in a safe condition? GRRRR.

None of those things sound like real problems. I wouldn't be bad mouthing anyone.

Hammer Springs wear out and can be light without problems.

Heaps of people have svi triggers in sti frames with no issues. Not sure how it can be too long. How was this fixed?

The last one doesn't make sense. The main spring has nothing to do with the sear leaf. There is a sear spring with 3 leaves and a main/hammer spring which are one in the same.

How can he be sure it was cut. Why was it cut?

Anyway your looking at like $12 and 5 minutes to replace both those Springs plus the trigger work.

I'd also be weary about it being properly fixed by replacing those parts. It is likely your hammer and sear engagement that needs rectifying.

• Hate rants involving shooters, firearms, or shooting related manufacturers, such as but not limited to - IPSC, IDPA, USPSA, Colt, Brownell's, Dillon, or Match Staff - are NOT PERMITTED. Brian's Forums is also not the place to resolve customer service issues or disputes you may have with a manufacturer, dealer, gunsmith, or individual.

Closed.