Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

shooting lead

Raul Marquez

The rifling in the barrels of Glocks is cut different...has a different shape.  This grabs the bullets more and causes it to leave lead deposits in the barrel.  Too much lead build-up causes pressure to spike...and can blow up the gun.

Other brands of guns are similar.

Raul,

I don't think anyone went to polygonal rifling out of a desire to prevent shooting lead.  More likely, it was chosen as a way to manufacture barrels in volume cheaply with a reasonable degree of consistency.  

I really like Glock's barrels.  The smooth, hammer forged rifling just doesn't collect gunk, which really fits in with my strict gun cleaning regimen:  once or twice a year...maybe.

Also, in 9mm, jacketed bullets are so cheap anymore that there is virtually no financial incentive to mess with lead.  You save maybe...a whopping $.50 -$.75 per box.  

E

On half the stages and ranges smoke from lube, can be a problem.  As you progress grip, trigger control and vision are the keys to performance.

I would consider lead though if that's what I had to shoot. Not in a Glock or similar gun. All shooting is good and practice with lead is as good as jackets

Wouldn't say its any safer. I know usually jackets frags are what bounce back from steel but I also seen lead and have seen quite a few slow lead bullets bounce off of something and land in the range.

Keeping the steel maintained and flat is the best protection.

• 4 weeks later...

I have fired thousands of rounds of lead bullets through Glocks.  Mostly .45 but also .40 & 9mm.  I feel that the mirrored bore in Glocks are LESS susceptible to leading than conventionally rifled barrels.  However, once leading starts in a Glock, it does seem to build up faster.   I clean my Glocks every 300-400 rounds and have had no problem.  

I cast my own bullets so my bullets are softer and may lead more than commercial lead.  After getting the equipment, bullets are essentially free (except for LOTS of time).

• 1 month later...

Dear Raúl, my name is Honorio Méndez Casariego, I live in Uruguay, Southamerica. Here the local laws are incredible stupid. You can be a collector of guns, but you cant buy ammo. You can shoot them, but there is no ammo or gun shop that sells them. So you have to manage yourself to cast them and reload them. All ammo biger than 9mm is forbiden, but you can colecct them. Incredible, isnt it? Even that, we manage ourselves to make practical shooting. There is a guy, his name is Rover IROA, that has shot more than 150.000 rounds (reloaded ones) of .45 APC in a GLOCK 21. He was more than once National Champion. Want his e-mail adress to ask him if he has had any problem? Well, you can argue that .45 in 230 grains travells at no more than 900 fps. Its true, but all of the GLOCKS that I know, even in .40 and in 9mm also eats not only jacketed and factory ammo, but also cast bullets. Also know about USP from H&K in all of the callibers above mentioned. Then, will you have any problem?

NO

Youll have no problem at all.

If you have any doubt, cast your own bullets with a Lyman 2 alloy and lubricated them with Red Rooster lube. And if you dont have any time to do this, then buy Oregon Trail bullets or Bull-X bullets. Both of them are in the internet and both of them are GREAT!!!

Sincerelly, Swagerman

honoriomc@hotmail.com

Eric W wrote: "I don't think anyone went to polygonal rifling out of a desire to prevent shooting lead.  More likely, it was chosen as a way to manufacture barrels in volume cheaply with a reasonable degree of consistency.""

Agree! Add also that Glock managed to create an unusually accurate barrel in a stock gun.  

"I really like Glock's barrels.  The smooth, hammer forged rifling just doesn't collect gunk, which really fits in with my strict gun cleaning regimen:  once or twice a year...maybe. ""

Again, Eric is 100% correct!  I have posted my opinion against any cleaning of stainless match barrels buyond chamber cleaning.  Although Glock barrels are made of a harder steal, they do not appear to require cleaning either.

""Also, in 9mm, jacketed bullets are so cheap anymore that there is virtually no financial incentive to mess with lead.  You save maybe...a whopping $.50 -$.75 per box.""

Not only that, you can't shoot lead at the indoors match and still see your target after a few shots.

Honorio - bienvenidos. Lastima i ilogico que no se vende cartuchos en su pais. Si usted nos visite en el EEUU, escribame i te prestare uno de mis armas con todas las cartuchas que pueda disparar.

Glock sez no lead due to the rifling.  I shoot a

G21 and of course a .45 is a low presure round

and less prone to leading.  However, for practice

I use lead GAT bullets and clean the gun whenever

I get around to it.....usually every 1500-2500 rounds

or so.   As I have 70000 rounds thru the original

barrel, lead is no problem---at least for me.....