Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IMR PB with 125g Blue Bullet - Max Data Low?

SWHlctx

I want to load some of my brand new Blue Bullets 125g RN using IMR PB. The only data I could find was on the Hodgdon reloading site. They show one load data point with 125g LCN with a max load of 3.4g. That seems very low to me. I'm using 3.2g on my 147g loads.

I remember (can't find it now) seeing a post by someone here indicating they were using 4.1g of PB with a 125g bullet.

Any one have data on PB that would be helpful?

I'm set to receive both some 125 and 147 RN blue bullets in the mail today. I've been loading and chronoing mostly plated (berrys and extreme) up until now but wanted to give the coated bullets a chance. I'm interested in any information out there as to how the coated (and especially blue bullets) are with load data related to plated or FMJ. I'll be working them up starting low but any information is great as far as experience you all have. Do they normally work with your other plated load data or are they usually have to be loaded lower/higher etc.

I've loaded a lot of Blue Bullets 147g. What I have found is with the coated bullet I can reduce the load slightly and maintain velocity. For example my go to load is 3.4g of WSF over a 147 coated bullet (Blue, BBI, Bayou, etc.), OAL 1.14. If I'm loading 147g Xtreme I have to bump the load up to 3.6 or higher to maintain PF.

I have the same experiences with Bayou 147's and Power Pistol. Go to load is 147 gr.FP over 3.8 gr PP @1.133.

Takes .1-.2 more grains to maintain PF with Berry's or Extreme copper coated.

JD

I received some 147 and 124 bullets. I worked up some loads and chronod them at the range. I found out what everyone was saying. It looks like the sweet spot loads are about .2 less than my go to loads for plated. Very impressed with the accuracy I'm getting with the blue bullets.

SWHIctx. when you use blue bullete 147 3.4 of wsf what is your PF. I started with 3.5 wfs and cant make PF I am as high now 3.7 and only making 127 I am shooting for 130PF and today going to 3.9 I want to be 130 to be safe.