Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Coated barrels= higher velocities?

Maxximuss

Has anyone else noticed an increase in velocity because of their coated (TiN, TiCN, AlTiN, DLC) barrel? It appears I am getting about 15 fps higher out of the same gun with a TiCN coated barrel. I don't know if it is because of the slightly tighter tolerances or less friction. Tell me if you have experienced this also and the details.

Testing complete.

Test Guns: (2) STI Tactical 2011 5.0 purchased at the same time. One has a stock barrel coated in TiCN by Crystallume PVD the other is a stock barrel.

Test Ammo: Berry's 180 grain target hollow points FP bullet, misc. brass, Tula small rifle primers, 4.5 grains of Titegroup, and 1.175 OAL.

Temperature: 79 F

Elevation: 5900 ft.

Results: TiCN barrel= 953.8 fps (20 round average)

Stock barrel= 944.9 fps (20 round average)

Conclusion: There is a difference, but not much. If I were to do this again I would have a scribe to write down each shot and make it a 100 round average.

Probably not even worthwhile to compare two different makes of barrel. For accuracy you'd need to compare in a before and after coating manor with identical test conditions. I'd say it's not a worthwhile venture for this coating in an application for increased velocity. However coated vs jacketed bullets have been much faster for us. The coating let us pull .2 to .3 gr from the load and keep the same power factor.

No, the barrels weren't tested prior. These were the best test conditions available to me. I was hoping someone else had some experience or input in the matter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk