Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Nordic extension tube hangs up

Anyone ever have their shells hang up when loading? I'm assuming it when the shell makes the transition between the factory tube and the extension. I filed down the little dimple on the factory tube, maybe it needs more? It's on a Stoeger, but it's never had an issue feeding (knock on wood!!!!) I'm also running the factory follower still, I should consider upgrading that I suppose

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Jordan!

Occasionally, the Stoegers will have a "roll" of sorts on the end of the factory magazine tube, as well as the dimple. Every Stoeger I have set up has (cross my fingers) run flawless with this method:

-Drill out the dimple, if even present

-Cut the end of the factory tube off to remove the "roll".

-Face the tube off with a file.

-Chamfer and deburr the inside/outside of the tube.

-Finish with a fine-grit sandpaper until smooth and burr free.

The factory follower is just a tad short, and could potentially tilt in the transition from magazine tube to magazine tube extension. Be sure to seat the barrel nut first, and then install the tube. If running a barrel clamp with the tube, make sure you loosen the tube up to 1 full turn to allow some "wiggle", so as not to influence the barrel with the clamp.

Hope this helps!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Use a pair of needle nose pliers to bend over the ends of the magazine spring. The bare wire can sometimes catch in the join of the extension tube, but when it is bent over you get a nice rounded spring end that is much less likely to snag. I shoot mostly just Winchester AAs, but the few times I had snagging issues it always turned out to be spring related, and it has never happened since I have started bending the ends like this.

Also, just make sure when you assemble that all the pieces are screwed in tightly. The first time I ever had an issue it turned out that the extension was not screwed tight enough into the tube nut, so, even though the tube nut was tight on the internal magazine, there was enough of a gap under the tube nut for that bare spring end to catch between the internal tube and the extension.

Use a pair of needle nose pliers to bend over the ends of the magazine spring. The bare wire can sometimes catch in the join of the extension tube, but when it is bent over you get a nice rounded spring end that is much less likely to snag. I shoot mostly just Winchester AAs, but the few times I had snagging issues it always turned out to be spring related, and it has never happened since I have started bending the ends like this.

Also, just make sure when you assemble that all the pieces are screwed in tightly. The first time I ever had an issue it turned out that the extension was not screwed tight enough into the tube nut, so, even though the tube nut was tight on the internal magazine, there was enough of a gap under the tube nut for that bare spring end to catch between the internal tube and the extension.

Should try using a follower on your shotgun mag. If the factory one is missing you can pick up a first rate replacement from Nordic Components. That should eliminate the bare end of your spring from catching on anything. :ph34r:

But yes, you should bend the ends of your spring so it is pushing squarely on the follower.

Edited by Shooter115

Yeah, yeah, that's what I get for typing in a hurry while multi-tasking on other things. :blink:

Of course, it was not the bare spring end actually hanging up. But with unbent edges, it is much more likely that the mag spring will twist when screwing down the tube cap, and that makes it more likely that a coil will be pushed up against the tube wall and hang on a small gap or imperfection—early on I had one such jam where the follower and loaded shells where sloshing up and down in the tube because it was the spring itself that managed to get snagged in the gap under the tube nut.

By the way, i did eventually switch to a Nordic follower; as I recall, one of its benefits is that it is taller than the stock M2 follower, so it does seem (at least to me) to make it harder for a mag spring to bind.

Edited by CJW