Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need a bunch of reloading advive for G35/.40...

cledford

I’m looking for advice on loading .40S&W for both IPSC and IDPA to run through my new G35.

I have a good deal of experience hand loading 45ACP, 454, rifle, and shotgun – I just don’t have any specific experience with the 40. I’ve got a Dillon 650 to use. I’m looking for advice on the best dies, cheapest/best brass, and best bullets (lead preferably – I’m having a Barsto fitted. Heck, I’ll take what ever recipies you’ll throw at me. I’m especially looking for concoctions to meet the *mininum* power floor in each game.

Also - I’m aware of the Glock “KB” issue - as I said above I am having a Barsto match barrel fitted. On that subject – with the Barsto will I be able to get any reloads out of the brass if it is new during the first firing out of the Barsto?

Thanks for any help,

Calvin

You really should use the search function first. I am killing time instead of working on a new spread sheet. So, for IPSC/IDPA I use Titegroup with a 180 Rainier HP bullet. IPSC load is 4.3 gr OAL is 1.125-1.130". IDPA load is either 3.2 or 3.5 gr. Can't decide which I like better.

FYI there is no more of a KB issue with Glocks than with any other gun. I have seen all of them blow up, Sig, HK, 1911 etc. Just another myth/wives tale/urban legend. Feel free to purchase a "match barrel", but IMO it is a total waste of money. My two G35s will group under 1 1/2" at 25 yards. How much better accuracy do you think you will get with a Bar-Sto barrel? Better said how much better do you need? The IDPA/IPSC target is huge!!!

You cannot "gimmick" your way to Master Class.

I also think most folks use the VV powders just because of the sexy name. They do not perform any better than Titegroup, yet cost almost twice as much. Maybe Hodgdon should change the name to Tihta Groupuori. Sales would double overnight.

Your G35 is capable of 2" or better groups with the stock barrel. All that is required on your part is a little load development.

I use mixed range brass. Brass can be bought for $10 a thousand. Why bother picking it up? RCBS dies work for me. I shoot lead bullets through my stock barrel (another myth) for practice. I don't like the smoke in matches. You can purchase a cheap Federal 9mm conversion barrel to practice with also.

Just got through with a lengthly discussion on the Glock forum about "match barrels". The ones that sing their praises the most just happen to be the same ones that sell them. Duh!!!

I've had 3 glocks and the stock barrels all shot into 1.25" or less at 25 yards. Often MUCH better than that.

If you get a different barrel with a tighter chamber, then all that brass on the ground from Glock barrels in now a risky deal for you to pick up and load. Including the brassmanbrass 40s, which are a high percentage of Glock primer strikes.

I use the factory G35 barrel, nickel 40 cases from brassmanbrass.com, 4.x grains of TiteGroup, and Zero 180s. If you live out west then Montana Gold might be less on the shipping charges.

Ditto on search. I researched and waited about 1.5 years before taking the reloading plunge. Everything that was recommended by the majority/consensus was great.

g35 with KKM barrel.

dillon 550b press

EGW "U" Lee decapping/resize die

redding comp. bullet seating die

Lee carbide factory crimp die

titegroup, 180 zero/mg bullets

No problems.

99.999% of the ammo case gauges perfectly. Runs flawless in my g35. A little powder change for the different games.

It might be a tad spendy up front.

But do it right the first time and all you have to worry about is the shooting.

Flex has a great suggestion of taking the loaded ammo straight from the press to the labeled ammo boxes. It make take a little more time but it helps to keep you organized.

Flex has a great suggestion of taking the loaded ammo straight from the press to the labeled ammo boxes. It make take a little more time but it helps to keep you organized.

Running them through the case gauge first (as you mentined).

I 2nd the 4.x of Titegroup and the 180 Zero. My 35 shoots that load very well. I haven't gotten brave enough to shoot lead through mine yet. With regular cleaning I can't see there being a problem. I haven't found the sub 2" load yet for mine or maybe I am not capable of that. <_< TXAG

Tex, play around with different combinations. 4.2 gr of TG will make Major in my G35. The 4.3 load is the most accurate in MY gun. Vary the OAL length. Try other bullets. I have had great luck with the 180 gr Rainier HP. Shooting from a bench is not as easy as it appears. I put a .090" width front sight on when I am shooting for groups. I use a 1" diameter black dot or black paster as my target.

I have not used lead bullets for my IPSC load, only for my IDPA.

I also think most folks use the VV powders just because of the sexy name. They do not perform any better than Titegroup, yet cost almost twice as much. Maybe Hodgdon should change the name to Tihta Groupuori.

Joe D,

You killed me with the Tihta Groupuori!! :P:D:lol:

I use VVN340 with 5.6 grains / 1.125 oal / mixed brass / 180 grain star fmj or montana gold fmj / and different primers depending on what kind of deal I can get. Hits the chrono at about 170pf in my glock 35.