Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

help picking front fiber optic sight

Garmil

I'm new to 1911 pistols. Have a custom 2011 .40 with caspian slide. It has a plain black front sight and I'm wanting to switch to fiber but overwhelmed with all the choices and sizes.

I have a Bomar adjustable rear that I will keep.

Rear notch is .115 wide .090 tall.

The current front is .175 tall and .115 wide. The front sight cut is .300 front to back.

I like the amount the notch is filled currently if anything slightly wider would be better than thinner for a front sight I like a large fiber rod also.

Can someone point me in the right direction on what to get? Any help would be appreciated.

Dawson precision will have whatever you would want in almost any configuration. Might look at the brazos lightening rod too.

Thanks for the response, but that's the problem I'm having.. all the configurations.

Garmil--sounds like maybe you're unsure about your front sight cut. The first thing you need to do is determine what type of cut you have for your front sight before you start looking at configurations. The 2 most common styles on semi-custom/custom 2011s are probably the Novak and STI/SVI/Heinie profile. You will either need to ask your gunsmith what type of sight cut you have or carefully measure the dovetail.

STI/SVI: .300″ X .060″ X 60 degrees

Novak: .330 X .075" X 65 degrees

Once you've determined which cut you have, you can start looking at the different configurations. Probably most popular are the Dawson Precision or Brazos Lightning Rod sights. Dawson probably has more variety in height./width combos if you're set on matching your existing set-up.

Going by those measurement I have the sti cut. The closest dawson sights are ramped isn't a straight or partridge more common for a competition gun? I do like the brazos lightning rod standard.125 leaning toward that right now

Oh ok you're right my bad. My sight now is pinned in front of the cut can I just go without on one of these I don't see a spot for it.

Yes, you can go without pinning. In fact, the F/O sights I've dealt with from Brazos and Dawson don't come drilled for the pin. If you haven't installed a sight before, you should probably have a gunsmith do it for you. Most sights come at least .005" oversize, so there's some fitting that needs to be done to get a proper fit to the dovetail.

Most of the time, you can remove material from the bottom of the sight a tiny bit at a time until you get a snug fit, put a little red loctite in the dovetail and tap it home. Sometimes however, you may have to remove enough material from the bottom of the sight to where the bottom of the blade will hit the top of the slide. Then you would have to clearance the blade for it to fit. It can be a time consuming and tedious process with lots of opportunities to end up with a useless sight.