Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Uncomped barrel and loads to simulate major loads and recoil/dottracki

ano

Hi, well open guns are fun and all, but Im haveing some issues as once of the ranges I have access to has a roof height of just 2,2 meters aprox, this means when I run around shooting major loads, I take out lights, which isnt really that big of an issue as Im the guy fixing them anyway...... the dust I stirr up is, the air system cant handle it and the climate is just poor is a much larger problem, when I got home yesterday I really didnt feel like my breathing was as it should be....

Has anyone tested really light minor loads and uncomped 5,5 " barrel to simulate the same lift you get with comped? imho it should be pretty doable with some load and recoil spring testing, maybe a blind "comp" threaded on with no ports, to add weight and get the right balance, or just some side ports.

Edited by ano

The muzzle rise of an uncomped 38 Super shooting minor power factor is a little more than a comped 38 Super shooting major power factor. So a sub-minor load, with a heavy bullet, in a noncomped barrel might get you close.

Compare the muzzle rise numbers at these two locations:

Major power factor (figure 3): http://www.shootingtimes.com/reloading/power-factor-recoil-bullet-weight-compensators/

Minor power factor (figure labeled "Recoil at same power factor" about 1/2 way down the page): http://www.handgunsmag.com/competition/recoil-comparison-pistol-competition-cartridges/

I think Ill go ahead and order the barrel... maybe threaded, just for kicks, we dont actually need a license here for supressors... and a buddy makes 3d printed titan ones that are tiny