Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Will .45acp 185gr LSWC and Unique Make Major?

jkrispies

Hi, all! So, I'm getting down to desperation level with my .45acp powder supply. My local dealer got a shipment of Unique which I've never used but heard that it's good for .45acp, so I bought 2 pounds. Now that I'm going through my books, many don't seem to indicate that it will make major with a 185gr load, which I find odd. They tend to show max at 6gr, but then there's an exception that takes it up to 7gr+ and it makes major. I'm wondering if anybody has experience with Unique making major... or if I should just take it back to the dealer for a refund before I crack it open? Thanks, J

They also have BE-86 in stock. I didn't recognize it so didn't buy any. I looked up the little load data is available for it, and it looks more appropriate for me. Think I might trade in the Unique for the BE-86. If anybody has some data (other than the Alliant website) for BE-86, I'd appreciate it. Thanks, John

If you regularly use 185 for major, then, you have more knowledge on this than I, but, my experience with 185 grain bullets and major is that they are less pleasant to shoot. It's just too snappy. Those big ol' 230's lumbering at anything over 718fps are a lot more comfortable and controllable. I'm shooting Bianchi Cup next week, and, I've found a way to use up my 185's there. They have a PF of 120,000, so, I only need about 648fps. Feels a lot like shooting an airsoft pistol.

Of course,I understand the reality of today's supply market. Last summer I was close to making my own black powder and loading smooth stones. Since then I've tried to buy up everything i can find ... before the hoarders get them ;)

If you regularly use 185 for major, then, you have more knowledge on this than I, but, my experience with 185 grain bullets and major is that they are less pleasant to shoot. It's just too snappy. Those big ol' 230's lumbering at anything over 718fps are a lot more comfortable and controllable. I'm shooting Bianchi Cup next week, and, I've found a way to use up my 185's there. They have a PF of 120,000, so, I only need about 648fps. Feels a lot like shooting an airsoft pistol.

Of course,I understand the reality of today's supply market. Last summer I was close to making my own black powder and loading smooth stones. Since then I've tried to buy up everything i can find ... before the hoarders get them ;)

I understand the snappiness. Having said that, I'd like to try out the 185's to see how they do. I've been shooting 200's for awhile and while I like them, I think there's room to improve.

Plus, I'd like to try an experiment in loading my 9mm 147's to 135pf and my .45acp 185's to 170pf, which would put them both at the same velocity and theoretically the same drop heights. I'd like to try it out in practice, and if they're close enough that might make my life a smidge easier when switching between the two guns.

I know it is me, but 230gn bullets at major tend to twist my wrist and irritate my arthritis a LOT.

I can shoot 185-200gn at major all day without any discomfort. Just don't see any .45 load as being snappy, just heavy bullets for me seem to twist and really irritate my wrist. Then again, .45 Win Mags in my Grizzlies don't bother me in the least--even 260gn bullets (heavier gun seems to take care of things). Recoil, even perceived recoil, must be a factor of bullet weight and velocity (and slide weight, i believe, as it is slamming back in recoil). .45s use heavier bullets and lower velocities, so, at least to me, there is no snap like a 9x19 115-124gn bullet.

Thus, recoil perception, to me, is subjective and individuals need to determine what works for them.

Plus, I'd like to try an experiment in loading my 9mm 147's to 135pf and my .45acp 185's to 170pf, which would put them both at the same velocity and theoretically the same drop heights. I'd like to try it out in practice, and if they're close enough that might make my life a smidge easier when switching between the two guns.

If you look at some ballistic tables I believe you will find that it is not the same.