Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI Open 40

tanfoglio1911

There's probably too many variables to say for sure whether or not a 1.125 OAL will work for your gun. There's a good chance that it will work, but you may have the occassional hiccup. My reliability improves the longer I load for the 2011 with 1.180 being the sweet spot for my particular gun/mag combo using 180 gr Extreme Heavy Plated Bullets. I finally bit the bullet and decided to have two separate .40 loads for my guns (1.135 for my TS and 1.180 for the 2011 w/ tuned STI mags)

Edited by tyler2you

They may or may not work depending on the gun. Most STIs like longer loaded ammo especially with the minimalist followers. If you wanna run short ammo, I would use the factory followers first and Dawson followers second. They do not give maximum capacity but are pretty forgiving as far as ammo is concerned. As for the load, I would suggest against the 180 grain and get the lightest bullet you can with the slowest powder you can. The 40 is already at a disadvantage in open as your giving up capacity as well as powder/gas volume with the heavier bullets. With 180s especially with a fast powder your basically shooting a limited gun with a dot more than a compensated open gun.

Any suggestion on a type of powder that will work with. I have on hand these powder; Bullseye, Titegroup, 700x, N320, N340 only. I will try to get the 135 later. Thanks.

about 8-ish grains of N340 with a 135 gr Rainier works just fine. I will have to get back to you on OAL. If you use the 180's, you will pretty much be shooting a loud limited gun.

The sad thing is, I only have a 180 gr bullets. I look up at Midway and they have a 135 Rainier, but not sure if the length of the 135 gr is enough to handle the OAL of 1.18 for the STI.

I was loading to 1.157 with the Rainier. My frame is a Para but I am using STI for Para tubes and grams innards. If you want to spend some money, you can use the Nosler 135 JHPs. Do what you have to do but I have found that 135 is the upper limit if you want any sort of flatness.

There's probably too many variables to say for sure whether or not a 1.125 OAL will work for your gun. There's a good chance that it will work, but you may have the occassional hiccup. My reliability improves the longer I load for the 2011 with 1.180 being the sweet spot for my particular gun/mag combo using 180 gr Extreme Heavy Plated Bullets. I finally bit the bullet and decided to have two separate .40 loads for my guns (1.135 for my TS and 1.180 for the 2011 w/ tuned STI mags)

Excellent advice ^^^