Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading.

shootsforfun

Minor or not, I'd recommend a slower powder for a open gun to work the comp a little better. I'd also suggest a lighter bullet. If you have a gun designed for steel challenge, 124gr seems to be the consensus. When I shot 9mm, the only time I used a 147 was if I had to knowck steel down instead of just ringing it.

Edited by zzt

Just my 2cents. I think It would need to be a slower powder and light bullet. I'm thinking if you loaded n105 with a 135 and just see what velocity you can get. I'm sure a 135g at a 150pf should work the comp and drop plates? I think you are going to have to experiment a bit and find the sweet spot between bullet, powder, and plates. Plus your guns comp in minor. You may want to load or try a friends who loads major and run a few rounds at major. It may be softer and flatter then a heavy minor load, depending on the gun and comp.

I would say use lighter bullets and don't try and skimp on power factor just because 3 gun dosent have one. A compensated gun shoots better and flatter with light bullets and a slow powder at a higher PF than it does with a fast powder heavy bullet load. As for anything you know about loads for non compensated guns toss it for compensated guns because it's totally different

• 1 month later...

I just tested a minor load for my open gun with 5.5 grain of n350 and a 115 grain bullet .

Super soft shooting minimum dot movement , shot out of a custom 2011 5 inch trubor barrel no holes using a 15 lb mainspring

and a 7 lb recoil spring .