Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thoughts on a 16" Open/Unlimited rifle, but lightweight

I've been trying to avoid this, but I think that I am missing out on this group's industry familiarity and accumulated wisdom. I do apologize if this seems like "another" rifle build thread. I'll try to make it focused? I hope so. OK, so here we go.

My current competition rifle is a locally smithed 18" Criterion hybrid profile barrel forged upper sitting on a forged lower that I assembled completely by myself. I don't look forward to doing that again.

In the end, I still feel as if the rifle isn't balanced to my liking. Also, the weight in general is a touch high for my taste. Not high by too much, but some. I may just do an upper replacement, but for the purposes of this post let's approach this as a clean sheet design for the entire rifle, please.

Fixed design points:

• Stretch 16 barrel, likely the fluted melonite version. Maybe some other 16" barrels could be considered, but the features would have to be compelling to get me away from the gas system on the Stretch 16.
  • I'll be running a bipod here and there. This is Open after all, so yeah I'm running a bipod. But I don't want to drag it around on all the stages. This is the big complaint with the current AP Customs ultra-light that I'm running. The attachment to the barrel nut flexes too much. Certainly isn't reliably stiff. Perhaps the new Gen 2 is improved. I suspect so.
  • CMC flat trigger and an Ergo Tactical Deluxe big grip
  • I'm thinking that MLok or Keymod might be the way to go for stage to stage attachment flexibility. Thoughts?
  • Any stock suggestions need to take into account my long arms (I'm 6' 1" and they are long for my height)
  • Definitely running a JP Silent Captured Spring system. I've been running one and won't 'go back'!
  • Optics mounting will be either Bobro or Aero Precision (in case I'm desperate on weight reduction). I hope I can squeeze the weight out of the rifle itself.
  • I am open to lighter weight optics for the main scope. Currently, I can alternate between Viper PST 1-4x and Viper PST 2.5-10x

Too often, I don't see receiver or other component weights listed on vendor or manufacturer web sites. That makes this design process very difficult. Are there significant weight variations between receiver makers?

How can I knock out upper assembly weight? What tricks could I consider for overall weight reduction?

Conceptually, I think this is rather like a modernized 3-gun gaming-only version of the SEAL Recce or Recon rifle designs.

Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge on how to shave off some competition rifle weight. And for helping me spend money I don't have!

:cheers:

Great questions.

Current assemblies (hope I weighed these accurately):

• Upper assembly (no BCG or charging handle) = 3 lb, 13 5/8 oz
  • BCG and Charging Handle = 10 3/8 oz
  • Lower assembly = 2 lb 13 oz
I am expecting to move to a hand guard that is heavier than my current CF one, so that could put me behind at the start of this process.

If I could shave 3/4 lb off, I'd be impressed. More of it is the balance, so I think I would get good benefit if I could get a half pound out of the upper.

I'm not sure what is a realistic goal.

Edited by michael1778

If money is not a limiting factor, you might want to look at http://www.v7weaponsystems.com/

They manufacture a ton (no pun intended) of titanium parts to shave weight. No personal experience, but the reviews on m4c.net are generally excellent.

The BCM KeyMod handguard might be something to look at, as its made of an aluminum/magnesium alloy, perhaps no heavier than your CF, yet stiffer.

I'm currently building a upper that is almost exactly what your after. Here's my parts list:

-Battle Arms Development 16" lightrigid barrel

-Battle Arms Development LW billet upper

-All V7 small parts to complete upper

-SLR Rifleworks 15" solo lite rail mlok

-SLR Sentry 6 gas block

-V7 titanium BCG

-V7 Furion muzzle brake

Definitely check out V7 and Battle Arms if your in the market for lightweight but strong parts.

This is confirming part sources, thank you. Fortunately, I am familiar with these to some degree or another.

But, does anyone have data on what the typical/normal parts weigh? Like stripped forged receivers, perhaps? Are they the same weight for most makers? Given dimensional similarity, I would expect them to be very close to each other, but I wanted to be sure.

One option to shave some weight off of the upper is to go with a lighter barrel contour. We have a couple options that seek to maximize weight reduction while maintaining reasonable accuracy potential. You might lose a little bit of velocity by knocking off 2" (25-40 FPS/inch), but you should still be seeing solid performance out of a 16" model.