Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cajunized SP-01 Tactical Review

brisix

I decided to test what David at Cajun Gunworks was saying about firing pin block CZ vs non firing block. He said that he can get the trigger very close to a Shadow. I made the decision to go with the SP-01 Tactical (Decocker) with pro-package with some modifications, listed below. I would use this pistol for USPSA Productions Division. My current pistol was an SP-01 Shadow from CZC that I sent to David for further polishing and his spring package. I made the decision to go the decocker route vs safety because we do not use the safety in USPSA since we start with the hammer down. I have no problem with lowering the hammer down manually. I did plenty of dry fire practice to make sure I could do it safely. In USPSA with DA/SA gun we need to start with the hammer fully down. If you have a decocker you can just decock the pistol. This puts the hammer in the halfcocked position. I found on my Shadow that the DA pull was a little over 1/2lbs lighter and travel about 20% less. Though a small difference combined with the convenience of not having to manually lower the hammer it at least serves a purpose. The Decocker is more complex but I was paying David to deal with that. As you can see from the trigger pulls below starting at half cocked lowers my DA pull by 11ozs with 13lbs hammer spring on the SP-01 Tactical. The difference seems to be reduced the lighter you make the hammer spring.

It is everything and more that David promised. The reset is 3mm vs my Shadow’s 2.19mm. The DA is actually lighter and SA is a little more. Those two aspects are more a result of the inherent difference from pistol to pistol vs the firing pin block. The pre-travel in SA is slightly more than the Shadow. Both have hand fit disconnectors. This is also more due to the inherent difference from pistol to pistol.

I have put around 3000 rounds through it in the last two months and used it at the 2015 Battle in The Bluegrass USPSA match. At competition speed you can’t tell the difference between the two triggers. I did short stroke the trigger initially in SA mode (3 out of 3000) but once I retrained my muscle memory that is not a problem.

I do like the CGW rear competition sight better than the CZC Competition. The CGW rear has a much deeper cut. As a result acquisition of the sights seems faster. The CGW rear sight will only work on the standard CZ 75 dovetail. It will not work on a Shadow.

What it comes down to is you can save yourself $300-$400 going with a SP-01 vs a Shadow and if you compete you need two guns. That’s $600 - $800. This is comparing to the standard Shadow. Accu-Shadows can get close to $2200 each. Translated to ammo that’s 5,000 – 7,000 rounds. In my opinion you are better off spending the money on the ammo. Practice will make you a better shooter. The SP-01 with firing pin block will not hold you back from getting your GM card or making top 16 at Nationals. The three best Shooters in the World Shoot all shot Stock II’s and it has a firing pin block.

Not to mention David is very very good to work with. He is professional, great customer service and an EXCELLENT gunsmith. I am not sure there is anyone that can do what he does with firing pin block CZs.

I am on the list to get another SP-01 Tactical from David once he gets them in. I am selling my Shadow.

Below are the trigger pulls on my Shadow and SP-01 Tactical. I used the Lyman Digital gauge and averaged 10 pulls. DC means decocked or hammer starting in the halfcocked position. Both guns where cleaned and lubed with FrogLube before I started the test.

Shadow 13lbs OEM Spring with 2 coils cuts (This is how the spring came from CZC)

DA 7lbs; SA 2lbs 5oz

SP-01 Tactical (All spring are CGW)

13lbs (Spring I run, pops all primers)

DA 6lbs 11.5oz; DC 6lbs; SA 2lbs 13oz

11.5lbs (Winchester and CCI)

DA 5lbs 6oz; DC 5lbs 3oz; SA 2lbs 9oz

8lbs (Federals Only)

DA 4lbs 8oz; DC 4lbs 3.7oz; SA 2lbs 8.6oz

Modifications to Pro-Package

CZ Comp Hammer cut for Decocker (Production legal)

Removed Reach Reduction (reach reduction is not USPSA Production legal)

Hand fit type 1 disconnector

CZ Heavy Stainless Mag break

Flat hammer spring plug

Stainless Steel Guide Rode

E-Z/D-9/40 rear and front sight set

If you are using the pistol in USPSA Production Division, the firing pin block must be installed and functional. Don't know if you are competing in Production with the FB removed or not. Just wanted to ensure you knew.

Appendix D4 -- Production Division

22. Specifically prohibited modifications and features.

Please note that the absence of an item in the list of prohibited modifications MAY NOT be construed to mean a modification is allowed. A modification is only allowed in Production Division if there is a rules clause or interpretation which specifically declares that it is allowed in the Division.

Removing or disabling firing-pin blocks or any other factory safety mechanism in Production division {sic} is specifically prohibited.

The three best Shooters in the World Shoot all shot Stock II’s and it has a firing pin block.

Great writeup Brian, I too agree a FPB CZ can be awesome (I have a beginners' guide to tuning them here: http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=191773),but I do want to clear up something: the Tanfoglio firing pin block works differently than the CZ block in that it doesn't increase the reset, nor compress a spring in the DA stroke; the block moves down instead of up, so it's spring is being released, rather than compressed like the that of the CZ.

The three best Shooters in the World Shoot all shot Stock II’s and it has a firing pin block.

Great writeup Brian, I too agree a FPB CZ can be awesome (I have a beginners' guide to tuning them here: http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=191773),but I do want to clear up something: the Tanfoglio firing pin block works differently than the CZ block in that it doesn't increase the reset, nor compress a spring in the DA stroke; the block moves down instead of up, so it's spring is being released, rather than compressed like the that of the CZ.

Thank you for the clarification. Very good to know.

I shoot with a group of about a half dozen production shooters. All of us shoot CZs, and we have a mixed of Shadow Customs, Modified Shadow Customs, and Cajunized Decocker Guns. One interesting thing is that the trigger pull SOUND is much different between the them.

All the safety guns have a springy, bouncy, reverby sound when you pull the trigger in SA.

The Cajun Decocker guns have a much more solid thud sound.

I'm not sure what accounts for the difference, and I'm even less sure that it matters at all. But in dry fire the difference is very pronounced.

Scott