Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

TS jam problem fixed?

mdschappell

I have a TS in 40 S&W that I have had for about a year. I was experiencing some infrequent jams, but during a match over this past weekend, it became a jam-o-matic. It jammed four times during the first stage. There were a few other guys in my squad shooting CZ's, and they thought that my jam problems were related to the hollowpoints I was shooting. I exchanged my hollowpoints for flat points with a buddy I was shooting with. The jams were not as frequent, but were still present throughout the day. I didn't spend a whole lot of time looking at the jams during the match, but it appeared they were all nosedives.

I was running CZ Custom extensions with their springs and followers, as well as a CZ custom guide rod.

After doing a little research, I filed the bottom of the mag tubes to smooth the transition between the tubes and basepads. I then thoroughly cleaned the tubes, and wiped them down with a silicone cloth. I also removed the CZ Custom guide rod and replaced it with the original polymer guide rod.

I went to the range today to see if I could get it to jam up so I could try to see what the problem was. I did not clean the gun after the match, so it was still dirty. I ran 225 rounds of the same hollowpoints without a single jam. I ran every mag I own with not one problem. After the way the gun performed during the match, I was expecting it to jam up right away, but I don't think I could have made it jam if I tried...

Is the jam issue solved? Are the CZ mags that sensitive to not being clean, or getting a little but of crud in them? was the guide rod the culprit?

I just smoothed the bottom of the mag tubes a little with a file. I read that some people were having issues with the spring possibly catching on the bottom of the mag tube as it crosses the transition between the extended base pad and tube. Not sure if it helped my problem or not, but the bottom of the tube was a little rough and sharp.

I've been running Gram's Engineering springs and followers and Taylor Freelance bases in my Tac Sport mags and have had no problems. I usually clean my mags after every match or sooner if I can hear little rocks rattle in them.

I would say one of two things and maybe a combination of both. 1) Cleaning the mags. Yes, CZ mags need to be clean. Dirt and grit from dropping on ground and powder residue can cause problems. Depending on range, I may clean every stage. I normally run mine dry. However, cleaning with CLP and wiping down inside of tube with light coat of CLP doesn't hurt unless shooting in blowing dust or VERY dusty range. 2) Mag springs. If the mag springs are over a year old consider replacing with +5% or +10% springs. I've run stock springs with no issues and they are fine if that is what you want. IMO +10's are not required. I settled on +5's and things still run fine. Also, think ether + mag springs will have a longer service life.

I've been running Gram's Engineering springs and followers and Taylor Freelance bases in my Tac Sport mags and have had no problems. I usually clean my mags after every match or sooner if I can hear little rocks rattle in them.

Agreed. The stock mags worked great with my TS 40. When I went to CZC basepad kits I couldn't get any of 4 mags to feed reliably loaded with more than 18 rounds. Heard about the Grams spring/follower kits. I gave them a try and have had no issues with feeding for thousands of rounds. Now only if my CZC magwell would stay put when shooting...

Agreed. The stock mags worked great with my TS 40. When I went to CZC basepad kits I couldn't get any of 4 mags to feed reliably loaded with more than 18 rounds. Heard about the Grams spring/follower kits. I gave them a try and have had no issues with feeding for thousands of rounds. Now only if my CZC magwell would stay put when shooting...

I just took the magwell off and threw it away. The gun is a doublestack so the top of the mags are beveled and the grip is beveled enough that I don't have any trouble getting the mags in.