Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm Bullets spinning in case

Jeeper

I have never had any luck loading 9mm. I get a large amount of rounds that the bullet spins in the case. I have reset everything on my press and cant figure it out. The expander is the correct size and I have triple checked the setting to make sure I wasnt over expanding. Is some brass so thin that it doesnt get sized down enough? Should I get a U-die from EGW to fix this?

It is all the way down to the shellplate. I can get them to be correct if I dont let the powder measure cycle fully. If i let it only go up about 2/3 of the way then the ont over expand. I am going to give dillon a call now because I cant figure it out.

EDIT

I called them and we were still both confused how this could happen. It is definately in the expanding step because I can take the brass that this happens to and resize it and then it doesnt drop in. Some how the brass is becoming overexpanded before the case gets a bell in it or the powder measure cycles completely. They are sending me a new powder funnel to see if that helps.

Jeeper - A couple of things...

Check your expander and make sure it mikes no more than .353". Smaller could be better.

Size, but don't expand, a fired case and try to stick a bullet into it. If it fits, the sizer is too big. Most sizers are good; I prefer the Lee because they tend toward the minimum dimension and they're cheap. :D

Mike your bullets. They should be .355-.357".

Mike a case of factory brass-cased ammo at the case mouth and then your own. Yours should be the same diameter or smaller.

HTH!

A very common cause for spinning bullets is excessive taper crimp. Try seating a bullet, then remove it from the machine prior to crimping. If the bullet doesn't spin in the case, then excessive crimp is the cause. If the bullet does spin, then either a loose sizing die, undersized bullet or damaged brass is the cause. :ph34r:

I have already tried everything suggested so far.

I miked the expander and it is .353

The bullets dont fit in after the sizing die.

I see the problem occur when I go to place a bullet in for seating and it falls all the way into the case. The weird part is that I am not running the expander die to far in since there is absolutely no bell being created. Actually when I change it so that the powder measure doesnt even fully cycle I still have the problem. It has to be something with the powder funnel. I just dont know what it could be since it is the right size. My only guess is that the tapered part for the bell was machined wrong. Beats the hell out of me though. Dillon is sending me a new funnel so I hope that fixes it.

The sizer may be too large, not squeezing the cases down enough. Your expander is definitely too large, I run mine at .351". You'll need to do a step-by-step de-bug.

Do all this without primers or powder:

Size a case. Is the bullet a snug fit by hand? Use your dial calipers to measure the inside.

Bell a case. Does the bullet still fit snugly by hand? Measure the inside to see what difference the belling stem makes.

Seat the bullet. Does it spin? Can you push it back with yoiur thumb? Measure the belled case, and the case just under the bell.

Taper crimp. Does it move now? Measure the crimp, and the area just under it.

Somewhere along the way you'll find where the change happens, and then can adjust your dies, methods or settings.

I hate to say but I have already done everything suggested. Somehow the expander is making it larger than it should be. I have used 4 different types of bullets and measured everything at every step. Sometime the come out of the expander to big and before it puts in a bell. Sometimes they dont. It makes no sense whatsoever. I have an EGW die on order and a new expander on the way. Hopefully between the two it will fix it. I really think that it is the expander

• 2 weeks later...

It ended up being the sizing die. :huh: I tried a Lee FCD and that did nothing. Then I switched out the expander(I found that I already had another one lying around). That did nothing. Then I got an EGW die and everything is great. I think that the trouble I was having was that some of the thin brass wasnt getting sized down enough. I would measure the brass after sizing but the calipers wouldnt totally expand since I was using a set that had thick prongs. oops.gif

I will probably send the dillon die back to see if it was too large and get a new one. Thanks for all the help. It sucks when you load 40 different cartridges but cant figure out how to get a 9mm setup to work on a 650. You feel like an idiot. banghead.gif