Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need some help with latest build

stovepipe1911

Hello, I recently assembled an AR for multigun. Over the weekend I got to the range to try it out, but ran into some problems. I had what seemed to be weak ejection (throwing brass at 2 o'clock), it was also short stroking. I was using hand loads, federal american eagle and federal 5.56 along with assorted p-mags.

Here is a list of the components I used.

Spikes tactical upper/lower

Satern barrel (18" rifle length gas 1/8 twist)

Sjc titan comp.

Slr adj. sentry 7 adj gas block (set screw type)

Voodoo innovations lightweight bcg

Magpul ctr stock, std carbine spring/buffer

I disassembled the rifle after I got home, I removed the gas block and checked alignment-was good.

I measured that gas port (.094). Reinstalled gas block and blew air thru gas tube. Checked the bolt/gas rings. All components used were brand new, rifle was properly lubricated. Is a there a problem with my buffer/buffer spring combination? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks for reading.

When you say short stroking, was it failing to eject, failing to feed or?

Is the adj gas block full open?

Here's SLR's set up instructions -

SentryINS.jpg

If none of that is helpful, AR15.com has an entire sub-forum devoted to troubleshooting here, including a large topic on "short stroking" - http://www.ar15.com/forums/f_3/66_Troubleshooting.html

Edit to add - a quick Google search seems to indicate 0.100" as a minimum gas port size for an 18" rifle gas system. However, I'm sure folks more knowledgeable than me will weigh in on that one. Paging MarkCO.....

Edited by fishsticks