Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AR Buffer/BCG Configuration for New Guy

Steve O'Connell

So I am getting in to 3-gun and have a question on my AR.

I have built several ARs and all have been different but all have worked well. I had nearly finished a new “long-range” upper when I decided to get in to 3-gun. The upper I had nearly completed was an 18” Green Mountain SS fluted barrel with rifle gas system on Aero Precision stripped upper. I had chosen the 18”/Rifle gas based on a previous 18”/Mid gas upper that was a very soft shooter. Without trying I had stumbled into an upper that might be pretty good for 3-gun so I finished it off with a Fortis 14” handguard, a Miculek comp, and a PA 1-6 scope.

The gun shoots really well but my reading here tells me that more softness is available in the BCG and buffer area. Currently it has a Fail Zero BCG and all-stock carbine buffer system along with a non-adjustable gas block.

Is there a reliable place to start with a lighter BCG and buffer that might yield an even softer shooting rifle? I use quality reloads for practice and factory 223/556 American Eagle 55gr for matches. I love to tinker but like reliability!

Thanks for tolerating the long post!

I have that exact same barrel on one of my uppers. I'm running a VDI (VooDoo) lightweight BCG, SLR adjustable gas block, Seekins ATC comp, and JP LMOS buffer withTaran Tactical lightspeed spring. It shoots very soft, is extremely accurate, and 100% reliable.

Since you're running a carbine buffer tube you could just use your carbine spring & buffer as it weighs the same as a JP LMOS rifle buffer, or you could even remove some of the weight from your buffer and maybe get by with even less gas. :cheers:

Edited by reptoid

The "Gold Standard" is a JP LMOS, which is their low mass carrier and buffer. A carbine buffer is the same area and an empty buffer is better yet and still produces a 100% reliable set-up.

With your set up, you will need to go with adjustable gas, or run a reduced power load, to get the most benefit. Everything else is a variation on a theme, most less reliable or less longevity.

I have played with almost every combo of springs, buffers and carriers. Where I ended up at is where I started. JP LMOS carrier and silent captured spring with adjustable gas block. If you want to spend the money you can swap out for the TItane carrier and stay with silent captured spring.

My aluminum carrier showed wear within 50 rounds so I am not very comfortable with it. The downside of the Titane is I wore my upper receiver enough in one season I decided it should be replaced (8000 rounds). I run my AR very wet! The Titane looks brand new after a full season and I am running it again this season.

Both of my 18" uppers have adjsutable gas blocks, Young super light BCGs and a taccom rifle buffer in my lower. I am going to be playing around with different spring rates here soon once I get my barrel back, had to send it in due to issues and they are shipping a new one once it is made.

I am also going to buy an aluminum BCG this year to toy around with and run at local matches but I will still run my Young carrier at majors due to reliability. I wanted the JP LOMS in my new rifle but at the time, the builder only had in the Youngs so that it was I ended up getting otherwise I would have the JP in it.

• 4 weeks later...