Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

hi trying to find info about the Lee Pro 1000

GRAEME

Under the non-Dillon reloading equipment you will find a couple threads. Such as "Tips & Tricks for the Pro 1000".

If you have a boat load of patience and above average mechanical aptitude, you can make the Pro 1000 sing. I run two of them, set up for specific calibers, and they work fine.

I use to be the owner of two dillon 650s, but had to down size after moving to a condo. I now use a lee pro 1000 which does indeed make good ammo. The secret IMHO is to hand prime off the press. I could never get the priming system on the pree to work to my satisfaction. Once you prime off press, which I do while watching TV it will make ammo as fast as a 650. Don't let anyone tell you different as the 650 take a little fiddling to keep it running smooth too.

They all take a little fiddling to get smooth. The 550, 650, and 1050's are much simpler than the lee stuff and once you do your fiddling, it is set and over. My lee pro 1000 required constant fiddling due to the cheapness of the parts and components. If you want to spend a little more money and load a lot more, get a 650. If you want to load a bunch of different calibers at a lower rate (and spend slightly less) get the 550. Those are your only real choices.

I use to be the owner of two dillon 650s, but had to down size after moving to a condo. I now use a lee pro 1000 which does indeed make good ammo. The secret IMHO is to hand prime off the press. I could never get the priming system on the pree to work to my satisfaction. Once you prime off press, which I do while watching TV it will make ammo as fast as a 650. Don't let anyone tell you different as the 650 take a little fiddling to keep it running smooth too.

There is absolutely no reason to make priming a separate operation, with a Lee Pro 1000. Bring your press to me and I'll show you how ;)

My 40 caliber Pro 1000 is set up to hold 100 of everything . . . bullets, primers, brass. With the bullet feeder, I can pull the handle 100 times and get 100 perfect, and primed, rounds. B)

Reshoot,

Thanks for the offer, if you lived close by I might take you up on it.

I like to deprime, then clean with SS pins, so hand priming is really no big deal.

I'm not bashing Lee as I cut my reloading teeth with a Lee turret and still have that press. Even with the Dillons I used lee dies.

To All - the OP is in Australia. Before telling him how good other presses are, it would help to know what brands he has access to. Also, what calibers and volume he is loading for.

It's entirely possible that he would be better off with a single stage or turret.

HI.thanks for the info. and thanks first contact ,Reshoot

i was very interested in the lee pro 1000 . i just have to get started again and then ??? may be the 1000 pro later.

i dont like the single stage but i do like to know that they all are right so they are better than factory loads i did like the super simplex with the 6 hole turret back then

thanks for your input,i searched the lee turret and found a few on ebay.us i donot have a lot of info on them but i like them over the single reloader

Lee Precision Value 4 Hole Turret Press Kit with Auto Index - lee 90928

Lee Classic Cast Turret Press Kit - lee 90304. this has a lot with it looks good

but still unsure on the way to go but to just slip on another turret for the next size shell to reload if more my way

Edited by GRAEME

If you want a single stage the Lee Classic Cast is a good one. I especially like the way it handles spent primers, straight down the ram into the plastic tube and then into the primer receptacle. No powder residue all over the place and no handling of them.