Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cushion for major...

Ron Ankeny

Quote: from DBChaffin on 2:46 pm on Jan. 17, 2003

Bill is very right that an "A" scores the same at 166 as it does at 180.  (In fact, an "A" scores the same at 164 too Bill    , its the "B"'s, "C"'s, and "D"'s that don't!)    

Bryant

Hehe boy I am silly.They know what I meant

I think the key is what you see consistantly in your readings. Go with that.

Bill,

We all knew what you meant.  I was just ribbing you a bit.    

I agree completely that the key is what you see consistantly in your readings.  My load has a little larger extreme spread than I would really like.  Over 15-20 rounds, I may get from 169-174 PF for an average around 172-173 as noted above.  I know this is not ideal, but my load is accurate, clean, soft shooting, and I am pretty happy with it in general.  Should I lower it so this range is, say 167-172 with an average of 170?  Probably so.  I don't want to get too close though, because I don't like the fact that a few "low" rounds could get drawn (my bad luck) and put me under 165.  Call me paranoid if you want, but if I declare major I plan to make it, with EVERY round I carry to the match.  

(Edited by DBChaffin at 4:30 pm on Jan. 17, 2003)

Ron, hopefully we will get to travel to some of the same matches this year.  Ditto what Brian and everyone else said about at least 5pf over.   I can barely tell the difference between 165 and 170 anyway.  (probably couldn't tell at all if I wasn't thinking about it.)  

What I stand to gain from 5 or 6 pf less, is next to nothing.  What I stand to lose is significant.

If I'm going to shoot minor, I want to load to 130 pf, not 164.2.   :)  

• 4 years later...

Does anybody take various loads just in case of temp and altitude variances? Say you have a load that makes 170 at your local shooting spot, but you take some rounds that are a tad faster and some a bit slower, chrono when you get to your destination and shoot that ammo? that way you are shooting with pf you are used too. I know there are limits on how much ammo you can take by airlines, but dont most people drive to most matches.

Does anybody take various loads just in case of temp and altitude variances? Say you have a load that makes 170 at your local shooting spot, but you take some rounds that are a tad faster and some a bit slower, chrono when you get to your destination and shoot that ammo? that way you are shooting with pf you are used too. I know there are limits on how much ammo you can take by airlines, but dont most people drive to most matches.

I wouldn't be suprised if someone has done that, but it seems like overkill. It takes more than a couple of points in PF to see any difference in how they shoot. Because of that you can just load them with enough cushion that you're sure to make it and not be giving up any advantage. Even if you live where the match is and can chrono under identical conditions you don't want to get too close because you can't be sure your chrono will give the same numbers as the match chrono.

It seems the USPSA rules allow a 5% variance in their chrono calibration ammo, so why don't they just competitors that same variance. Shooting a 125 gr. to make 165 PF, it would be 66 fps. So now I have to load my ammo 70, maybey 100 fps faster to be on the "safe" side of the chrono, but pushing the limits at the loading bench. Maybey I should think about replacing my barrel sooner than later?

Does anybody take various loads...?quote]

I did that once at an out of town major where I brought a backup gun that chrono'd 50 fps (9 PF points) slower than my match gun. I gave up on that after the one match - the hassle factor of bringing the extra ammo was just too high. I changed loads and barrels to make both guns meet the PF floor with the same ammo.

Edited by kevin c