Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SKATEBOARD TAPE ON A 1911

GilaMonster

At a 'Fun Match' last weekend (not a USPSA affiliated match or club) a competitor shooting Single Stack had a piece of 'skateboard' tape on the frame of the 1911, where his weak hand/support thumb lands. About where a '*thumb rest [generic]*' would be on an Open gun.

I'm pretty sure that for USPSA, that is illegal, according to Appendix D5, item 22: "•External modifications or features such as weights or devices to control or reduce recoil (such as, but not limited to, thumb rests or components which could be used as such)."

Grip tape or skateboard tape is not specifically mentioned in Appendix D5, but I think that covers it...

Same item, same number, under Limited-10 rules, in the event he was using the 1911 in LTD10, right?

(Edited to add: interesting, that I typed "g*s pedal" and the software changed it to *thumb rest [generic]* How does that happen?)

Edited by GilaMonster

Uhh, no. How is that a "modification . . . to control or reduce recoil?" It's an index point. There's nothing specific about limiting where grip tape goes on a 1911 being shot for Single Stack. And if he were shooting Lim10 with the same gun, he could have a *thumb rest [generic]* for that division as well, just not able to use it in SS.

I've been shooting SS with a piece of grip tape on my frame since before the last SS Nationals and have had no issues in any major match in which I shot my SS gun.

When I'm driving my car and want to go faster, I just press on the *thumb rest [generic]*.

Interesting. I'm guessing a certain manufacturer of thumb rests got upset with everyone using his product name to describe thumb rests in general and threw a fit about it. Seems counter-productive.

(Sorry for the thread drift, had to test it.)

Edited by Rob D

Uhh, no. How is that a "modification . . . to control or reduce recoil?" It's an index point. <snip>

Interesting. When I asked him about it, he said, "helps control recoil..."

Thanks for all the responses

I'm sure he thinks it does .... but that doesn't have anything to do with what DNROI thinks ... Edited by Nimitz

Uhh, no. How is that a "modification . . . to control or reduce recoil?" It's an index point. <snip>

Interesting. When I asked him about it, he said, "helps control recoil..."

Thanks for all the responses

I'm sure he thinks it does .... but that doesn't have anything to do with what DNROI thinks ...

Yeah, pretty much this. I don't think it controls recoil at all. I use it to make sure I hit my grip correctly. Like Gary said--Wrap the gun in grip tape if you want. As long as you make weight, it don't matter.